• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crystal Orb on GF2, too loud, use rheostat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwishBish33

Registered
Hey guys, I have a Crystal Orb on a Geforce2 GTS that needed its fan replaced, but the Crystal Orb is too loud. Can I use a rheostat to regulate the RPMs on the Crystal Orb and thus the noise, or would that slow it down so much that the Geforce2 GTS would be in danger of getting too hot? The GF2 is not being overclocked at all. THANKS.

Why dont you go for an active solution. Zalman has a few different coolers that might suit you and that way you wouldnt have fan noise.

Yeah, what both of them said. I ran my GTS passive with a stock AMD heatsink up to 235mhz on the core. Unoverclocked should be no issue at all.

I like the idea of the Zalman passive cooling, but is it going to take up a PCI slot? I don't think I can give up a PCI slot. In the instance that it does take up a PCI slot, are there other options? Is the rheostat on the Crystal Orb an option at all? Thanks for the responses guys.

That's the big thing, you're going to give up a slot. Just put a resistor on the fan to slow it down a tad.

Also find my article on sticking a heatsink on the back of the GPU/PCB. That'll let you run the fan much slower with little effort.

The chrorb uses a PCI slot

I have a chrorb on my Geforce2 Ultra and I control it with the switch thingie that comes with all the Lian-Li cases in the front. It is extremely quiet at low, which is what I use when not gaming, but it needs to be on high in order to effectively cool my high 310/515 clocks during games.

If my chrorb has to be on high for these overclocks, I doubt the dinky zalmon NB cooler (which I use for my NB) would do the trick, or even one of those giant zalmon passive solution for video cards that everyone has.

Theres a guide to putting a hs on the back? I just took the stock passive hs and glued it to the back, and put the hs from a 533mhz k6 on the front(no fans). When I have little to no airflow in my case, it burns the finger tho. I need a fan.

forum article

*edit addition*

I don't think a rheo would be nice on a GPU. If your usage habbits are so varried frm min to min like min, it would be a real pain in the *** to deal with a rheo every 45 seconds.

Last edited:
Back