• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bestbuy Fraud Notice !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Bestbuy Fraud Noitice !!!

Got this in an e-mail today .....

IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've opted out of Best Buy promotional e-mails, don't worry: you haven't been signed up again. We just wanted to make sure you knew about this situation, regardless of whether you receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. You will NOT continue to receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. Thank you.

its seems that that is the popular scam nowadays...

ebay, paypal, god knows who else

eveywhere you go on the net someone is trying to rip you off
this is some sad ish

I would never send that info out in an email. I feel sorry for those who fall for it, cause I think they are not to smart.:rolleyes:

I got the same e-mail.

I got the email. It said somebody had charged 2 car CD players to my credit card account and requested I click a link to verify or cancel the order. I knew it must have been fake since it said I recieved it from a MSN account and the link they wanted me to click wasn't even a Best Buy site.

Back