• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier on Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi All. I know that you guys have been dissing the SubZero4G, but, I was wondering, what would happen if u just go and get a nice size peltier, and tack on a SLK-800 or something, instead of that Aluminum hunk ThermalTake used. Would that perform acceptably, do ya think? or would the peltier just end up making way too much heat? If it is 'okay', think it would it drop temps below ambient - because I just dont want to have to insulate my board, lol.

Thanx
DreamMMatt

If you dont want to go through with having to insulate your board then peltiers are definately not something you want to get into. Lets just say your air cooled pelt combo goes below ambient, forms ice on it, you turn your system off and said ice melts and forms a nice puddle on your video card. Most of the time if you want to get into pelts you really need a very good water cooled system to go with it to dissapate the heat as air cooled pelts need very loud very high cfm fans and even then still dont perform as well as a water cooled pelt system.

you're going to need a very LOUD fan for air cooling a pelt. A properly sized pelt (172watts) will do something like triple the heatload that the sink needs to get rid of.

Not sure if an SLK-800 would handle one with any CPU of high heat output.

You have to swing more like the big swiffy with the tip top damned delta's to get anything.

Not only that I doubt under the most ideal conditions (68F room temp, duct to the heatsink)
Could one keep up with an overclocked high output CPU.

It depends on how big of peltier you get and how much heat your CPU is putting off. You should be able to do that. Many people have done that in the past.

Thank You,
Daniel

I used to be againts TEC on air during the Thunderbird & Palomino chips because of their heat output. With the low voltage T2Bs it MIGHT just be possible provided you can manually controll the voltage to the TEC & have something like 120CFM to a HS like the MCX462T. I don't think you can go below ambient but maybe stay at ambient also the machine would have to be at constant load too.

Basically IF the DLT3C chips don't produce as much as a 100W of heat at load when overclocked it wouldnt be such a bad thing to try. A lot of money to see if its posible, not a risk for me to take.

"you're going to need a very LOUD fan for air cooling a pelt. A properly sized pelt (172watts) will do something like triple the heatload that the sink needs to get rid of."
Britney HSFs have to deal with 130w of heat, and stay cool.
I have a Britney HSF on my 800MHz P3, and it stays cold(very close to room temperature(I can probably add a 72w peltier if I wanted to, and the heatsink probably can still handle the load)).
It's loud, but run the machine for a few minutes and it would seem like the noise wasn't there in the first place.

Did u read my sig? right now I am using a 120mm - 125.5cfm fan, and I have no problem with getting a 160mm fan which will pump a heck of a lot more air - aww heck, I think I will just go H20 now...lol Thanx though for the info, it is good to have found that out. Again, thanx for all ur brain-pans ^_^

Back