• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ac fans or ac/dc converter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I need some 120mm or bigger fans to cool my radiator, but since its outside my case I need ac or an ac/dc converter with dc fans. Where can I find ac or dc fans for cheap and what is involved with an ac to dc converter? How much, where can I get one, whats involved in adapting the converter to use with a fan?

Thanks guys

Ok. First that thing must be huge.

A simple shroud and 120mm fan shold still be able to draw enough air through a heatercore. If it is a heatercore matrix type radiator, you won't need more than a breeze.

You in phase change now or something???

To the question.

Forget DC converters. If you have to deal with that crpa just save the extreme hassle and buy yourself an AC fan...

Just go with an AC fan and leave out all the cheap adapters that crap out.

Honest to God I'm about to quote from every Westinghouse device I've ever owned NOT older than myself.
"Built to last"
Now in EVERY instruction manual. "Not for use over 15 min. after 15 min of use allow a cooloff period of a 1/2 hour"

"Built to last; 15 out of 45min"

Skip converters... Just get an AC powersource and pipe it directly into the fan.

K.I.S.S.

Ok, if i'm going to go with ac is there any easy way to change the fan speed by lowering the volatge? I know little about electricty so bear with me. The heater core is a chevette 86 btw, what kinda of air you think I need, what cfm to be effective?

A rheo like from a wall light knob/slider would work. Just make sure the thing is insulated in a box or something. Lord knows I wouldn't like to be responcible from someone getting a shock!

AFA airflow goes, it takes very little. You won't see much differance in the majority of cases between 20cfm and 120cfm.

Well... Maybe a little one would be ok, if somebody taped it so we could all have a laff at their expence ;)
j/k

Well i'm now actrualling going to dc since its much cheaper at https://www.allelectronics.com
4$ dc fans a 4$ powersupply with 12v @ a whoping 1.3a :p . Not bad at all 2 fans and powersupply for 12$ which is cheaper then 1 ac fan. Also picked up some other cheap stuff including a couple of aluminin heatsinks for a dollar (ram sinks anyone :D). Its a pretty cool store they've got all kinds of nifty things that you can buy with the change in your pocket.

Back