• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear Acrylic Case Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

Alright, I have read that PC's run at higher Temps in Acyrlic cases and then I have read some that say they run the same. Once I get my bad boy together I plan on getting this straight. Look for a post by me in the next couple weeks.

Metal cases do have some cooling properties. The powersupply, drives, mobo - they're all attached to the case. The metal cases do carry away some heat, but i doubt you could see more than a degree or two difference. With all the fans in that thing i don't think you should have a worry in the world.

I think that clear cases look fantastic and are also a resonable option for overclockers. Yeah they take a little more cleaning then other cases.....but there are more options as far as moding the looks of it. If you guys only knew what I plan to do to this case....I have some ideas that I think will blow your mind. It may take me some time to complete, but just wait. Only problem is cash flow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is true metal cases have an impact on temps.

The bad part is how much is unknown.

I've never seen anyone PROVE an Aluminum cas is any better than a steel one...

More important than this is another issue that get's CONFUSED with the one above.

IMHO the main reason people have problems cooling clear cases is that the cooling is very poorly planned out. Most of them are smaller than normal, cramping high end components that get stuck in them, while not offering the amount of cooling required for those components in the first place.

Pick the right case and come up with the right cooling and you'll do A-OK. I built and sold a [email protected] Tbird on an nForce motherboard with a GF3 ti200 past 500 speeds last year in a clear case...

It had no problems at all... The point is get a case with a good layout and make sure you give it adequate cooling.

The clear cases run hotter is a complete myth IMO... If they'd design the damned things better, the stigma would have never surfaced.

The case I got is ok, but should provide ample ventilation with a couple pretty simple mods, like increasing the front vent to 120mm, the back vent to at least 90mm and the top vent to a 120mm. I think it can cool with the best of them after these mods (except for water cooling...which is WAY out of my price range!). I just like the fact that there is a lot of moding you can do to these cases. As far as being cramped, yeah it's a little tight, but with a few simple techniques, you can give the case plenty of room to breath. For example, I won't have a single 5.25" drive open (I have DVD-ROM, CD/RW, Zalman Multi Fan Speed Controller, and a Vantec Nexus NXP101 Multifunction Panel) or a single floppy drive open (I have a floppy drive and a panel of switches) but if everything works out as planned, I will still have plenty of airflow. I will be posting pics of the whole process as I go.

Oh, kind of off subject, painting drives SUCKS!!!!!!! Must people just paint the faceplates, pretty simple. But for some strange reason I had to try to take things further by painting the WHOLE drive: faceplate, tray, and even the metal case. Man it is a lot of work and sanding. Especially the metal casing, man this BETTER look good!!!!!!!!!
im0003602.jpg

;) grain it will steel wool and spray it with auto paint like we do our metal R/C aircraft.

Looks gorgeous once you get it down pat ;)

Awsome Toysrme!!!! I had another idea as far as fans go....possiably getting an LED fan casing and putting an aluminum fan in it. I don't know what it would look like...might be interesting.

Have you ever read any thread I've ever participated in? Once I hit the subject topic it's downhill from there ;)

Just make sure it's not the clear crap UV paint. Actually paint it a color uv paint.

OOO OOO! Better yet! Drill out small holes in the blades and buy yourself a pack of 3mm LED's, then file them down until you can fit them in the hole! (just don't go to far)

You could use two "roads" of tinfoil tape around the inside of the case fan assembly to draw power from.

*That* IMHO would be something off the wall I've never seen nor heard of that I would do... Gotta love throwning something in off left base!

You could stick the resistor off the main line going to the tracks, that way you wouldn't have to do it to every led!

Back