• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7. not -s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

excaliber has the nf7 rev. 2.0 without soundstorm for $97 vs the -s for 118. is this board the same performance wise minus sound or is the -s the most popular for a reason?

emericanchaos said:
excaliber has the nf7 rev. 2.0 without soundstorm for $97 vs the -s for 118. is this board the same performance wise minus sound or is the -s the most popular for a reason?
HA beware of the flames that will follow. just messing,
I noticed that Fry's has a NF7-M 2.0 and was wondering the same thing

the nf7 is missing the soundstorm aswell as the SATA and firewire.

the nf7-m has onboard graphics, soundstorm and sata according to abit's site. No mention of firewire though.

he nf7-s has firewire, sata and soundstorm and no onboard video.

AFAIK, performance is identical on all v2 boards.

arrrgh, abit's site is a confusing mess lol

ok
nf7.JPG

the nf7 doesnt have sata,firewire or soundstorm.
the nf7-m is identical to the nf7 but also has on-board video.
the nf7-s has firewire,sata and soundstorm, no video.

i think i got it right this time.

james.miller said:
arrrgh, abit's site is a confusing mess lol

ok
nf7.JPG

the nf7 doesnt have sata,firewire or soundstorm.
the nf7-m is identical to the nf7 but also has on-board video.
the nf7-s has firewire,sata and soundstorm, no video.

i think i got it right this time.

Im stuck as to which board to get, I have to get it at the local frys either the nf7-m or the MSI DeltaG

the MSI delta has the video and soundstorm but does not overclock nearly as well

james.miller said:
is there no possible way to order the board?

Prob not because they do not carry the board in any of the PHX stores, they have given me so much crap over the whole situation as it is.

Yea I agree ABIT site is a confusing mess!

damn another issue, MSI's board says
Audio Processing Unit(APU) encodes audio in Dolby® Digital 5.1 format for full surround sound effects

and the board comes with a S Braket for the other surround channels

But no mention is soundstorm..

jeez. I wonder if it is the same

SinsFeelNatural said:
damn another issue, MSI's board says
Audio Processing Unit(APU) encodes audio in Dolby® Digital 5.1 format for full surround sound effects

and the board comes with a S Braket for the other surround channels

But no mention is soundstorm..

jeez. I wonder if it is the same

After digging through their sites support section it does have soundstorm but no mention of it on the Board description page. Excellent advertising. LOL

So would you say that going from a 8rda to a nf7-s would be worth the upgrade and also would the non s have the same overclocking ability as the s version.

well i'm asking because of the apparent price differences. i got hammered in taxes on my check so i'm a little lighter than i had hoped. i may just go with the -s though.

BTW to be sound storm it has to have SPDIF. that's what most boards are lacking in order for it to be called soundstorm. as long as it doesn't say like c-media blah blah codec like the reg nf7 does not -s than it should be the same as sound storm just without SPDIF.

emericanchaos said:
well i'm asking because of the apparent price differences. i got hammered in taxes on my check so i'm a little lighter than i had hoped. i may just go with the -s though.

BTW to be sound storm it has to have SPDIF. that's what most boards are lacking in order for it to be called soundstorm. as long as it doesn't say like c-media blah blah codec like the reg nf7 does not -s than it should be the same as sound storm just without SPDIF.

not true. soundstorm isnt just the ability to upsample into DD 5.1. it has other features that do not require the spdif at all.

Audioaficionado said:
I don't think the M even comes in rev2.0

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/comparison.php

Note the FSBs.

Just get a cheap GF4 M440 for ~$40 and upgrade it later.

You'll get a better overclock with either the NF7 or NF7-S.

Yep, I seen it with my own eyes. I ended up getting the MSI delta g-l

More features and even though I seen it for myself the v. 2.0 sticker i didnt need the video and read the spec sheet and some of the speeds are slower

SinsFeelNatural said:

Yep, I seen it with my own eyes. I ended up getting the MSI delta g-l

More features and even though I seen it for myself the v. 2.0 sticker i didnt need the video and read the spec sheet and some of the speeds are slower

Where?

http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=181_220

Excaliber has all the newest Abit products and they only list rev1.2 for the NF7-M.

Anyway, have fun with your new computer project.

Eventhough mine already rocks, I still want to keep building more and more systems. I might even try another high-end Intel system someday when I have gobs of cash to spend. My PPro200 was top dog when I got it over six years ago.

Back