• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which heatsink/fan to buy? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

I have a PNY Verto Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB DDR.

Default settings:

Core Clock Frequency: 250MHz

Memory Clock Frequency: 500MHz

Current Settings:

Core Clock Frequency: 270MHz

Memory Clock Frequency: 540MHZ

I am doing this with the retail cooling, but i want to push it to 300 Core and 600 Memory, so what is the best heatsink/fan money can buy? And what is the best thermal paste? Thanks!

Hmmm....The Zalman passive heatpipe is good if you have a fan on the side of your case. The best thermal compound is Arctic Silver 3 or Arctic Silver Ceramique.

also, when you get your new heatsink ( i read this in maximum pc today lol), sand down the bottom of it. start with 800 grit sand paper (sanding in a figure 8 motion) and work your way up to 1600 grit polishing paper. when you get done with that, use a "high speed rotary tool" and some polishing cream to polish the surface. this should gve you a glassy shine and improve heat transfer. artic silver 3 is the best thermal cream, btw.

emica said:
also, when you get your new heatsink ( i read this in maximum pc today lol), sand down the bottom of it. start with 800 grit sand paper (sanding in a figure 8 motion) and work your way up to 1600 grit polishing paper. when you get done with that, use a "high speed rotary tool" and some polishing cream to polish the surface. this should gve you a glassy shine and improve heat transfer. artic silver 3 is the best thermal cream, btw.

NO!!! A figure 8 motion will make your HS convex(the front part of the direction in which it's sanding catches more and, therefore, sands more than the rest of it). Use BillA and Graystar's method:

Use a FLAT surface(like a thick sheet of glass) and lay the sandpaper on it. Use wet/dry sandpaper and wet the sandpaper first (have a bucket near you full of water and ONE drop of dishwashing liquid mixed together). Set the HS down and, diong the best you can to apply pressure evenly on every part of the HS, push it forward. Pick it up, put it back down on its starting point and repeat. NEVER rotate the HS. You can use a permanent marker to make a squiggly line on the bottom. It helps you keep track of trouble spots. I repeat myself over and over about this, but only because you guys need to know. :)

nerdlogic said:

NO!!! A figure 8 motion will make your HS convex(the front part of the direction in which it's sanding catches more and, therefore, sands more than the rest of it). Use BillA and Graystar's method:

Use a FLAT surface(like a thick sheet of glass) and lay the sandpaper on it. Use wet/dry sandpaper and wet the sandpaper first (have a bucket near you full of water and ONE drop of dishwashing liquid mixed together). Set the HS down and, diong the best you can to apply pressure evenly on every part of the HS, push it forward. Pick it up, put it back down on its starting point and repeat. NEVER rotate the HS. You can use a permanent marker to make a squiggly line on the bottom. It helps you keep track of trouble spots. I repeat myself over and over about this, but only because you guys need to know. :)

Good call nerdlogic, the figure 8 motion will definatley not be good to the shape of the HS, so make sure you are doing it evenly and with very good, even pressure. You really do not want to mess up a new heatsink...do you?

so do you just pour a bunch of the water(with a drop of dishwashing liquid) onto the sandpaper?

Cypress said:
so do you just pour a bunch of the water(with a drop of dishwashing liquid) onto the sandpaper?

You can conserve your water and just dip the sandpaper in the bucket...swish it around a little to get some water pulling off the particles. You can also do what I did: dip it in the water in the bucket and hav a small little cup or bowl to pour water over the sandpaper within the bucket.

Oh i see! Wow...that was pretty obvious. It's just for washing off the sandpaper after all the sanding. well...i'm feeling a bit slow right now. I'm gonna go make a bowl of icecream.

Well, it's to wash off what gets sanded off. The dishwashing liquid is to help lessen the friction.

Awww Cypress... we all have those days. Ice cream tends to work, especially with chocolate syrup. Cheer up, buttercup. :)

CGR said:
I have this on my GF4 Ti4400 and it seems to work pretty well. I do not know how it fairs agaist the Vantec cooler though.

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/a1449.html

I've tried it and it does seem to cool better than the Iceberq, BUT the extra cooling really isn't needed. Along with the un-needed extra cooling, you get extra noise. That's why I like to recommend the Vantec.

Back