• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X drive configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doodah10

I'm building a new machine and I'd like to see what other forum members think is the best way to configure the drives. I'm going to add a SATA RAID-0 array later. On my last machine I set up the HD on IDE 0. The CD-RW was master on IDE-1, DVD drive was slave on IDE-0, and the Zip drive was on IDE-1. That worked real well, but I have a Micron PC with the same drives so I looked at how the factory set it up. It has the CD-RW as slave on IDE-0 and DVD on IDE-1 as master. So now I'm wondering if that is the way to go. What do you think?

The better performance is to have the CDRW as the master on IDE 1. DVD Drive as slave on IDE 0 and ZIP as slave on IDE 1

That is what I was thinkng too. I wonder why Micron would do it the other way? Both ways seemed to work fine.

Now that I have it installed with the CD-RW as master on IDE-1, When I go to properties on the drive, it shows on IDE-0, the DVD shows on IDE-1. Why would Windows report this backwards?

Back