• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VDD Mod/Chip Set Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Italiandude

Registered
ok guys i got the 8dra and i bought the solder and the 1000 ohm and the 470 ohm (they never had the 680) if i put the. i have no idea which one to put or how much voltage would it give me.

Also is the: Vantec IceBerg, COPPER, All in one VGA & Chipset Cooling Kit CCB-A1C Retail. A good chip set cooler? (if i add the vdd mod) Thanks - italiandude

(i will soon add my comp specs in my sig)

Fist off, welcome to the forums!!!!

Second, the motherboards section has tons of info about voltage mods. If you have a question about motherboards thats the place to post it. This Thread Should tell you where to find the info u need for the voltage mod.

As far as that chipset cooler goes, it looks alright, but i bet you'd have much better results with like a socket 7 heatsink fan on it. You could probabally even 7 volt mod it and get good results.

Don't put on the 470.. it will give you way too much voltage for air cooling. The 1k ohm will add about 0.17 volts to your current Vdd. If you want a bit more you can solder 2 470 ohms in a series and get 940ohms.

That cooler will work well.. i use an Iceberq 4 but it dosent fit right with the pins.

The vantec iceburg is a great product for your northbridge, and should be able to handle a good 1.8v just fine with some good thermal paste. I'll direct you to two places:

First click on the cooling section here

And then get more mod info here

(176 / ohms resistance) + current vdd voltage = resulting vdd voltage

If your stock vdd was 1.6v (will probably be close to that, you should check) you would get 1.974v, which is rather high for air cooling, and disasterous for stock cooling. A 680 ohm resistor @ 1.6v would yeild 1.889v, and a 1k would give you 1.776v. So you're probably going to need something between the two. If you really can't find the proper resistors, I beleive I have an extra 680 ohm I can spare.

You might also note that Vdd above 1.8 will probably heat up your cpu quite a bit more.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Ok i was think of going far with my computer because well i did spend 300 bucks on my new ram (PC 3500 corair 512x2).

As for the vdd mod i was thinking of geting a vdd of 1.80-1.85 or maybe 1.90. Which ohm should i use?

Here are my specs in my sig!

corair? i thought that was just a typo but you put it in your sig also. i believe its 'corsair'. (not a flame, just a handy correction.)

It depends on your cooling. I wouldnt go that high until you add active cooling to the Northbridge and heatsinks on the Mosfets and the Southbridge.

I can tell you this much I use a 560 form time to time but 1.91 is to high for me so I stick with the 680 for the all around good 1.85.

higher voltage = FSb right? I am ordering a northbridge cooler, which other active coolers do i need? which ones are the best to buy?

is it possible to add two resisters? becuase my radio shack doesn't have 680 it has 1K and 470 and lower?

If the voltage is too high more heat right, but more FSB?

the 560 mite be good because my stock vdd is now 1.55-1.58 never at 1.60?

Higher voltage will allow for higher FSB, witih proper cooling. You can lap the old Northbridge hs and stick it on the southbridge. Those mosfets get super hot so i would cool them too.. look
Yes, you can add two resistors in a series and it will add the resistance of both.here and here for pictures of cooling.
"If the voltage is too high more heat right, but more FSB?" Yes
560 will be you kinda high unless you have really good cooling on the NB like a big HSF.

ok there are alot of active coolers for a mobo, can u tell me which active coolers to get for which mosfets.

I already no Northbridge is vantec iceburg.

NorthBridge=Vantec Iceburg

Which other ones ? thanks!

btw which resistor are u using that gives u: Vdd mod(1.86)

For mosfets you will need small heatsinks so you will probably have to cut them. You might be able to find some small enough ones at www.1coolpc.com. I used the ramsinks that came with an Iceberq 4 cut in half for mosfets and the Iceberq 4 for the northbridge.. the pins dont fit right though. If you want the mosfet cooling to be active you will have to epoxy a fan onto the capacitators around the mosfets.
I am using a 680 ohm resistor and my default vdd was 1.6.. 1k ohms gave me 1.77

If you want, but the pins arent the right distance apart so i just put in one pin then put superglue on two corners of the NB.
I don't know where else on the east coast they sell resistors.. maybe you can get a 1k ohm potentiometer and use that, or make a better suited resistance by soldering 2 or more fixed resistors together.

Yep, just solder them in a series.. like 1 leg of each soldered to eachother then the remaining 2 legs are just like the legs of one.

Back