• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much temp diff. in sk7 and slk800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

how much real difference is there between these 2? the price of the sk7 at $17 is just reall appealing. and the slk800 is over twice that price. i will be running it with a smart fan 2 that i currently have on my volcano 9.

depends on how much you value your overclock. the slk-800 might give you an extra 100Mhz on your overclock.

login211 said:
what's the diff between the slk800a and the slk900u?? 1C?
That's with the same fan. You might get more difference with a 92mm fan.

One thing we should all keep in mind - all these newfangled heatsinks are good and all, but i can bet that a properly mounted SK-7 with a good application of thermal compound can beat an SLK-900 mounted by a n00b.
Don't be a consumer wh--e, and try not to throw money at a problem, as appealing as that may sound.

Mark Larson said:

That's with the same fan. You might get more difference with a 92mm fan.

One thing we should all keep in mind - all these newfangled heatsinks are good and all, but i can bet that a properly mounted SK-7 with a good application of thermal compound can beat an SLK-900 mounted by a n00b.
Don't be a consumer wh--e, and try not to throw money at a problem, as appealing as that may sound.

true, but no matter what heatsink he chooses, he's still a n00b. so he probably would still get better cooling perforamnce from the slk800 over the SK7.

anyway, i suggest the SK7, it's only $17 at SVC with the coupon code: c8rlufjq . this is what i have and i love it.

i don't exactly see how you can mount a heatsink wrong. i am sure it could be done, but how can you mess it up?

it's all in about applying the thermal paste...ie right thickness, evenness etc... also when mounting the heatsink, the less lateral sliding the better. ie, once the heatsink contacts the core, dont' slide the heatsink.

LilBuddy it happens, i'm no expert but i'm no n00b either, i've installed heatsinks with ease many times but the last time i put up my slk-800a i accidently smudged the very very little amount of arctic silver3 on there and my temps were so high that asus c.o.p. shut down my pc and mbm starting beeping, it all took about a minute

Indeed, the .02C/W difference depends on a lot of extra factors, such as choice of fan, consistency of the thermal interface material (TIM) application, proper mounting of the HS w/o twisting, etc., and the like.

Even with the same fan, differences in the TIM application and HS mounting may exceed the .02 C/W difference. So this does echo some earlier, quite valid comments: a SK-7 may well out-perform an SLK-800 in the right set of circumstances, and it might not be that rare an instance, either. I'd suppose the short of it is: don't upgrade for the sake of .02 C/W, and think twice about spending twice as much for .02 C/W when selecting a heatsink from scratch. ;)

-- Paul

*edit* And improper HSF mountings happen to the best of us. (And to the rest of us, like me.) */edit*

Last edited:
Just how cool is your room, then? If your case is 11C (a frigid 51.8F), then your room must be absolutely freezing! -- Paul

BTW: Which 80mm Vantec? Tornado? Stealth?

i am wondering the same thing. what did you do to lap it? mine is comin in today or tomorrow so i need to get some sand paper.

Get the SK7

I have a SLK800 with Smart Fan 2 and AS3 in an Aluminum Case with 2 intakes and two exhausts. 1700+ @ 1955 Mhz and 1.73 volts in MBM. Normal idle temp is 38C. Can be 36 with AC cranking.

Buddy of mine has SK7 with 2800+ and smart fan 2 in a steel case with 5 intakes. He runs at 37C idle with Artic Alumina.

Save the money and get the SK7, IMHO. ;)

timmyqwest said:
Guys, i lapped my sk7, note temps...

'nuff said

Sweet temps. I've never seen 22c idle before ever and I'll see 11c when hell freezes over, but then I don't have ac either...

SK7 here with a 5v (10-12cfm) top motor 80mm fan on plus 4" dryer duct and temps are 42c idle 48c load with room temp of 26c. Cpu is Dut3c 1800+ @ 14x140, 1.65v. Couldn't be happier with the sk7 but wish I had gotten the 800u or 900u just because I move my case so much that I get some paste corruption from time to time from the jarring.

Back