• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducting mod you won't believe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

Well I decided to step up my computer. Not the spendy way, but the time-consuming way. I gave it a paint job that looks just completely awesome ... silver all around, while the drives are black, and all the buttons and stuff are red. Very trick I think.

But the biggest breakthrough was a ducting mod I installed using only the aluminum tubing that dryers use as ducts, and duct tape. I completely sealed off the CPU fan to the vent on the back of the computer.

I used to have to open up my case and turn my Thermaltake Volcano 11-Xaser at full speed to do folding, and that would go at 56-58 degrees. Now with the mod, the case is closed up, all my lights are on, the fan is ~1/2 speed, and its running 100% load @ 55 degrees! This is completely awesome. Now I can do folding all the time and not have to stop it cause it's so loud. It's just purring along at 13 x 180 @ 1.85v, which is about 450 Mhz over the clock.

Oh one thing I want to ask too ... the fan is right on the heatsink, do you think I should move it to the other end of the duct? I've heard that if you do this is disperses the air a little more around the heatsink and lowers temps ~2 degrees or so. I could go for that ... but is it true? Also, my sis thinks the air won't be moving as fast as if it were right up next to the sink, but I asked her, "If a lot of air is going in and only a little is coming out, where does all the air go?" That got her stumped. What do you think?

worthless.gif

:D had to I want to see the job :D

dude.. those temps start to worry me....
you ever considered reseating that hsf?
awhile ago i was idling at like 57°C :eek: and when i took the thing off my chip turns out i put so many goop that when i lifted the hsf it dripped!
then i reapplied with a LIL BIT and now my full load temp doesnt get past 47°, that is a 10°C difference!
soy my advice for those temps is that you atleast think to reseat that thing

Ehhhhh, what type of chip are you running? I didnt see a mention of it.. I ask because unless you are running a Barton, you shouldnt really have full load temps that high, especially with that duct mod.

2200+ Athlon Thoroughbred CPU

55° is pretty bad using a a/c duct mod. Do you have exhaust fans inside your sace to exhaust the heated air out?

I would mount a 80mm fan on the side and duct the a/c to the 80mm fan and let it spread throughout your whole system.

Note: comparing one system's temp to another is a precarious thing to do- motherboards vary in accuracy, and so on......

It just is NOT an accurate comparison to rely on.
That is why Joe (on the Front Page reviews) using the heatsink die simulator: get more accurate comparitive data.

That said, those temps DO seem a bit high to me to :D You might wnat to keep an eye on case and ambient temps too.....

But the most important thing is SYSTEM STABILITY!!
If your pc is completely stable under 100% load with a cpu temp of 55c then it should be fine ;)

lol, i have a couple of old durons 1200mhz running at 65-70C as a remote survailance system , (they are installed in a closet) and they been running like this for 6 months now :)

its all about stability :) temps are not important :)

not to mention that he said he is running at 2340mhz, which is high for a volcano 11 hsf, and i guess this means all 2200s are not tbred "a"s as i dont think an a core would do that on air

Back