• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't take the damn slk800 off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deftor

Help!! Can anyone give me hints on how to take my slk800(A) off. I just got a new chip and want to see how well it would do, but can't get the heatsink off the old one.

I've been working on it all morning and my thumb is sore from trying to push the clamp down. I figure there must be an easier way so if theres someone out there with this heatsink that frequently plays around with their cooling or gets new chips to try, can probably point me to an easier way to accomplish this.

Thanks.

I'd say the same way you put it on.

Put the flathead screwdriver into the slot and push down and that should release it.

You're going to have to use a screwdriver for it. A suggestion that was mentioned before was to put cardboard in that area in case you slip (hopefully not too hard). However, it shouldn't slip if you have the right-sized screwdriver and you work with the fan off the HS and the motherboard out of the case.

Using cardboard to protect your board is a good idea. I suggest using 2 screwdrivers, a large flathead and a small one. Put the small one in the slot. Put the large above the slot where the metal bends. Hold the large one straight up and down and gradually apply more pressure. Once you've got enough downward pressure, pry with the small one so the metal clip detaches. It actually can be done rather quickly and safely and I find it easier than getting the HS attached.

Back