• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help temp problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GlitchOfDoom

My friends computer's fan went out while i was playing a game and I smelled something burning but I dont know what so I shut it off. So we went and bought a new copper heatsink & fan to replace his aluminum one. I applied the thermal compound a bit more than I should have for safety resons but not an overwhelming amount. When we started it up we checked the temp it read 47*c, then we ran prime95 and it had an error during the first test, MBM5 didnt have a chance to post load temp but idle was still 47*c, then we played planetside and it went to 51*c in 5-10min and it froze. Is the processor damaged? or is the heatsink not good enough?

the processor is a socket A athlon 1.3Ghz underclocked to 1Ghz

No Prime95 was never run before. Playing games and such work now but running a little hot (51*c) and underclocked to 1Ghz. Prime 95 still gives fatal error during the first iterion. Maybe voltige got raised without us knowing? what should it be at?

What kind of heat sink did you get? Just because its copper doesnt always mean its better. The heatsink that came off...was it the stock AMD one? exactly how much thermal interface material did you put on the die? What kind was it?

yeah load bios defaults if you think you raised vcore or soemthing...

i don't know if prime95 erroring means that your cpu got damaged in this incident, you could run your system relatively stable and have prime95 errors.... the errors coulda been there from teh start so....

Yea I know what your saying login, coulda been from the start.

The copper heatsink we bought was just a housebrand from compusa (we didn't have much money :p), the one that was originally on it was a dust PACKED stock amd alluminum heatsink.

Ill set bios to default when I go to his house today and post back.

I doubt that you would damage the CPU by doing that. If it was damaged it really would not do anything at all. What is the FSB? It should be 133 it may be higher and you need to lower it. What you should do is clear all the BIOS settings and start fresh.

Thank You,
Daniel

hmmm no one has brought this up... are you sure it is seated properly? you might wanna reset it and take off the goop and just put a reeeeaalllyyy thin layer on it then check the temps again.

It could also just be a false temp reading.

There are alot of possibilites... Look for dust buildup on case fans, make sure you put a little amount of paste on the cpu. Just enough so you dont see the core. Also you can't get silver anywhere other then the core. I say this because there are these gold contacts (they look like dots) on the cpu that would mess up your system.

Other then that it seems your idle temps are too high! Anything over 45c during load really causes problems. Either your room temps are too high or the heatsink is poor.

45C? My pally runs at 68C load and does not crash at ALL - Palominos have one thing going for them, and that's heat resistance. (well, it would be a bit counterproductive if they didn't with the heat they put out...)

There should be settings in the BIOS for voltage, try setting it to AUTO or something - BTW what motherboard are you using - some report temps inaccurately.

You sure the heatsink is seated the correct way? If you dont place it on the socket the right way with the gap on the heatsink covering the side where the hinge is on the lever, you may have the heatsink resting on an angle and not contacting the core fully. You can tell this by looking at it or taking the heatsink off and seeing if a line is present on the outside of where the compound is. That will tell you if its resting on an angle.

I think everything was covered. Clear CMOS, check seating, reapply thermal compound properly, possibility of inaccurate temp probe, high room temps. Don't the regular Athlons run at 100 FSB by default? Anyway, what motherboard is your friend using? It's very possible that the temps are off. It's also possible that there isn't enough airflow within the case. Your system temps may be at fault. Have you tried running it with the side panel off?

Carbon(I think) Metal Oxide Semiconductor...it's what keeps your settings in BIOS.

L337 M33P said:
45C? My pally runs at 68C load and does not crash at ALL - Palominos have one thing going for them, and that's heat resistance. (well, it would be a bit counterproductive if they didn't with the heat they put out...)

There should be settings in the BIOS for voltage, try setting it to AUTO or something - BTW what motherboard are you using - some report temps inaccurately.

not every pally can do that. trust me.

L337 M33P said:

You know...thats not exactly healthy. It might be stable, but good god...thats like...high! You really should get some more case flow.

nerdlogic said:
Carbon(I think) Metal Oxide Semiconductor...it's what keeps your settings in BIOS.

Close but no cigar
Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor actually :p

I have quite a bit of case flow - 92mm fan+PSU fan, but if it ain't crashing then I'm happy (for the moment anyway [ph33r my ub3r l33t rig in the pipeline...])

oops sorry 4 threadjack

Back