• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo purchase... HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HexogeN

Registered
Ive been looking into the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I like the stability, I like the high quality onboard sound, but Im a very light overclocker and I dont need raid or soundstorm. Im also a little worried because of the memory problems.

What i want in a motherboard that supports ddr 400, has decent quality audio (I only have $30 speakers), and is stable. I have looked at the reviews, but I havent found one I like yet. If anyone has suggestions please throw them this way.

I agree with Audioaficionado get the Abit Nf7 revision2.0.....it has good enough sound for those $30 speakers(I have some cheapy ones also and the difference in sound is there but with cheapy speakers it's a huge waste(I am going to upgrade soon so no waste)) the sound on the Nf7 rev2.0 non s is also 5.1 if my memory serves me....it just doesn't have all the nifty bells and wistles soundstorm has.......as for the overclockability the Abit Nf7 rev2.0 STOMPS the Asus...Tons more bios settings etc.... as for stability the Abit has given me ZERO! problems..not one singular...this thing is a rock!......best board I have owned BY FAR!.....

I have owned both the abit nf7 v2.0 and asus a7n8x deluxe...i must say, the abit nf7 is better for overclocking. If you are not gonna overclock very high, and like all the bells and whistles, get the asus. If you want a great all around board, that gets you where you need to go, and don't want to spend a ton, get the abit. Excaliberpc.com has em for under 100 bucks.

treetop, the sound on the NF7-S is soundstorm.

I would also recomend the Abit for its stability, options, and its overclockability. ;)

Here we go again :rolleyes:

anyway I posted a thread exactly like this one and came to the conclusion that the Asus A7N8X deluxe was better for my reasons - I like bells and whistles, the drivers are rock solid in my OS (even with my CPU running @ 68C :D :D) and there are only 2 less BIOS OCing options - Vdd (chipset volts) and PCI lock don't exist, but the Asus has variable dividers.

Both are nearly the same in benchmarks (couple of % difference)

Judging by your post you are worried about the "memory issues"? I take it you mean the BIOS corruption or whatever. The Asus does have a nasty habit of corrupting the BIOS if you make like 100 changes to the BIOS settings, but Asus may be able to sort it out with a future BIOS edition. Otherwise most of the time the board seems fine, but I haven't go one yet. Make sure you get the v2.0 PCB - this one supports the 200FSB officially.

L337 M33P said:
there are only 2 less BIOS OCing options - Vdd (chipset volts) and PCI lock don't exist, but the Asus has variable dividers.

pretty sure all nforce2 boards have pci locked at 33mhz. I know my a7n8x runs pci at 33mhz no matter what fsb i use

Back