• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK800 or SLK800u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please do a search the next time. An SLK800U is preferable, as it will provide for a far more secure mount than the SLK800A.

slk-800u is the bolt on version, it's more secure but much more difficult to install cause you gotta take your board out and...

slk-800a is the regular clip on, they perform exactly the same

i got the 800a, took no time at all to install

i suggest you lap whatever you get, temps will drop by 2C atleast :p

I know your here to help. That's why I asked.

Okay i will look into the SLK800a. I have no idea how to lap it. And I'm scared to try in case I mess the HS up.

put sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface and hold it there somehow, place heatsink flush agains't it, start moving the heatsink back and forth while applying pressure pefectly evenly so that you don't get a lopsided heatsink...

i suggest you start of with 800-1000 grit waterproof sandpaper, move on to 1500, then to 2000 if you can find it :p

look for it in the automotive section in your hardware store, homedepot will not have high grit sandpaper, i got mine at canadian tire....

if you move your computer around alot, like taking it to lan parties and what not, you should maybe think about the slk-800u.... i don't move my computer much...

login211 said:
put sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface and hold it there somehow, place heatsink flush agains't it, start moving the heatsink back and forth while applying pressure pefectly evenly so that you don't get a lopsided heatsink...

i suggest you start of with 800-1000 grit waterproof sandpaper, move on to 1500, then to 2000 if you can find it :p

look for it in the automotive section in your hardware store, homedepot will not have high grit sandpaper, i got mine at canadian tire....

if you move your computer around alot, like taking it to lan parties and what not, you should maybe think about the slk-800u.... i don't move my computer much...

What he said, except just move it one way, then pick it up and move it back. Otherwise the middle is the highest since the edges wear away.

this guys is just being lazy. i don't understand why you guys are heplig him out..... everything you guys explained could be easily found in a 2 minutes search.

Last edited:
SLK800A and SLK800U are pretty much the same.
the "U" IMO has a better mounting (universal).

Kdog154 said:
If i wanted a search I would have went to google.

GAUTAM is probably talking about the search button on top of the forums page.
its a helpful tool to find threads about previous post and questions that have already been answered many many times

torchedlh-

it's a forum dude calm down. I'm sure every question someone has has pretty much been answered in another thread.

Thanks for the help guys. Do I need to dip the sandpaper in water or just get waterproof sandpaper?

Dude... seriously. Hit the search button and type in "lapping." You will come up with a million hits at least. There are as many ways to lap a heatsink as there are people on this board.... But the pick it up and move it the same way seems to be the most correct.

Kdog154 said:
torchedlh-

it's a forum dude calm down. I'm sure every question someone has has pretty much been answered in another thread.

edit: i am speaking to you, you need to do a search and not be so rude.

Last edited:
torch actually that was the author

Kdog154 said:
Which one?

and actually kdog was being anal. You really just need to search for lapping (or look around being as i found plenty of threads that told me what it was and how to do it).

Ack, I hate lapping. Dang tongue gets too darn tired!

Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

CGR said:
I thought you were supposed to do figure 8's when lapping so it does an even job?

No. The front of the HS in whatever direction you are sanding will catch more than the rest, therefore sanding off more than the rest. Doing figure 8s will score you a convex HS. BillA and Graystar both have mentioned this and that the best way is the way shroomer said it: pick it up and put it back at its starting point. Sand in one direction only and NEVER rotate it. Use wet/dry sandpaper as you should wet the sandpaper. Have a bucket near you filled with water and ONE drop of dishwashing liquid mixed. Rinse the sandpaper off every once in a while by dipping it in. Some people don't believe that going above 800grit is really beneficial I quit at 1000. Just remember that the higher in grit you go, the less thermal compound you'll need.

About the SLK-800. I would suggest the U if you have the mounting holes around the socket for it because it will be more secure and you won't have to worry about the weight of the HS putting too much stress on the socket. I'm starting to have trouble with that, myself, and I have to lay my tower on its side right now, otherwise I get errors. Then again, it should be fine if you don't move your computer around too much. I kinda dropped my computer once (about a couple of inches off the ground, still made a good sounding bang...I think that started the process of my socket being too stressed).

Thanks for the correction. Good to know in the event I ever decide to "LAP" a HS... Would suck to do it wrong.. :)

Back