• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cardboard Airduct mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

I know it has been done a billion times but I want to vouch for this mod. I recently completed this mod on my server rig. Consists of this"

XP1600 Pally
Shuttle mobo
GF2mx 64mb
Wireless LAN
10/100 LAN
180gb WD SE drive
Speeze alum. HS w/ sunon med. speed fan

The reason I post everything that was in the case is to let you know what kind of heat output I am producing.

Originally I was full load around 53*C report through Speedfan. Now after making a cardboard duct to draw cool air in from the rear exhaust vent of the case, I am full load at 47*C. I am waiting for my ASII to set to record my final temps. I would post pics but I have an extremely crappy webcam. :(

The nicest thing about this is that it even quieted down the CPU fan. It seems almost as load as a Panaflo L1A fan going through the duct. Otherwise it is around 32dBA by itself.

For those of you pondering ductwork in your case...........have at it. Order some pizza, use the cardboard and some duct tape, and you are set. Shave off a few degrees while recycling.

Ducts are great. Cardboard and duct tape are deffinatly a plus for planning before you cut your materials. Of coarse, if u don't care what your computer looks like (like me) then duct tape and a pizza box will do it.

Just don't use godfather boxes, I've had bad luck with those. Pizza Hut seems to be the best as far as pizza boxes go :p

Delissio works wonders.nice smooth cardboard that is easy to cute and shape without creasing. i used this on my cpu duct in the winter which ran my xp 1600+ from 43º to 37º with an sk7 and 80 mm led case fan. my radeon is using that fan now with a cardboard duct as i removed the fan from my orb to save noise. works wonders. who needs slot protectors? but i warn of possibly cap breakage, i almost lost two on my mobo thanks to a duct taped fan =|

Ducts do seem to work well. I don't think I would use a pizza box because it could be very oily. Sounds like you did a great job!

Thank You,
Daniel

Plaster tubings are really good too. Get them at the local handy mans market. Of all cheap tubes they have the lowest air-resistance, and are pre-made in many shapes to encompass many needs.

Cheers, Flix

When I think about ducting, I would like to create a duct which brings cool air from the bottom side of the case and push the air vertically up blowing cool air through the HS/Fan but also taking the hot air and directing out to the top of the case or right into a PS which has a intake above the CPU.

This would give cool air to the HS/fan and blow the warm air out at the same time..

Another good Ghetto-Duct is the inside roll from toilet/kitchen paper- already rolled and sturdy.
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned that yet. When I saw the title I immediatly though of toilet paper rolls.

And for those who like a bit more plastic... going to somewhere like Maplin's (for the UK people here at least) and getting some Bass Reflex Tubing (I think thats the name for it).
Or get a blown up Bass speaker from a car/home set-up and take the black plastic tube from it, they come in 80mm size too so can double up as trim for your blowhole too.

CGR said:
Paper towl and toilet paper rolls are a bit small and restrictive.

True- but there are industrial sized roles too (I've got them at work... but they might be a bit big)
But if you can find large enough rolls then it may be enough- but true with the toilet paper rolls. But kitchen rolls may be big enough if space is a factor, any duct is normaly better than no duct.

UnWishedLegacy said:

True- but there are industrial sized roles too (I've got them at work... but they might be a bit big)
But if you can find large enough rolls then it may be enough- but true with the toilet paper rolls. But kitchen rolls may be big enough if space is a factor, any duct is normaly better than no duct.

How about those heavy duty rolls you find with carpet. They are a bit thick and would take a saw to cut, but they are definatly wide enough..

Better yet how about this...

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccceadcijgldjhmcgelceffdfgidgjj.0&MID=9876

Cant get link to work but goto Ducting > Galvanized Vent metal pipe fittings >4" pipe

Last edited:
Back