• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NF7-S install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sparkius

Hello all,

Just installed a new NF7-S into my system. It POSTs OK, but when it tries booting into Windows, it reboots before the initial Windows screen appears. If I boot into safe mode, the computer gets to the "amdagp.sys" file, stops for a second, and reboots.

Has anyone seen this, or do you have any ideas short of repairing or reinstalling Windows? The BIOS settings are the defaults, haven't changed anything yet. The motherboard is the only new component.

Athlon XP 1700+
NF7-S v2.0
1 GB Crucial XMS
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Thanks in advance.

If you used the same hard drive without reinstalling windows, it won't work due to incompatible drivers loading for the old mobo chipsets.

Is this new to the NF7-S? I've never had a problem booting with a new motherboard before. Windows usually at least boots to desktop then reinstalls the motherboard components automatically. I'd guess this is my third motherboard in this system without a reinstall/repair. The old motherboard was a MSI KT3 Ultra.

nForce2 chipsets are a lot differant than your old hardware. At the very least you'll need to run the repair console from your OS install CD.

If you want stable overclocking, you'll be much better off with a completely new clean install.

Whenever you install a new motherboard you should always format and use a clean install of windows. It will just be easier than trying to troubleshoot all the errors and they may get. Just reinstall windows and enjoy your new board.

Rule #1 when putting a new computer together - REFORMAT
Rule #2 - reformat
rule #3 - reformat

I had the same problem with an A7N8X Deluxe. Thinking it was a board problem, I tried an NF7-S. Both were rev 2. After trying everything I could think of I've concluded that the only way to make everything work is to reinstall to a clean drive(s).

I did find that with an old PCI vid card things worked on the Asus board, but the Abit didn't like that card for anything. But the reboots occured for both boards with AGP MX440, Ti4200, and an old Vanta vid card.

Oh well, my old windows installation was starting to get wierd anyway, so starting over for the best.

I, for S&G's, tried this when I bolted my rig up last night with the new NF7-S v2.0 I got...

Got the same WinXP error on boot. Expected it, but just wanted to see. Had the XP cd at the ready....

I've swapped mobo's without formatting before, but it's always been a similar chipset from one board to another. Like a BX440 to another BX440, or a KT266 to a KT333.

The nForce stuff is an entirely different animal altogether. Expect to format and do a clean install, unless, as mentioned above, you get lucky going from a nF1 to nF2. But even then, I think a fresh install of the OS would be the best.

My swap last night was KT333 to the NF7-S, so I (expectedly) got the BSOD. So I did what needed to be done;

1) reset
2) Go in BIOS, set to boot from CD
3) put XP cd in drive
4) reset
5) format
6) install

I'm still trying to figure out the subtle nuances of the NF7-S, but OHMYGODISTHISTHINGFAST!!!!! :eek: Might have something to do w/ the 2 x 512 (1GB total) XMS PC3200 in DC though....:D ;)

I did a fresh install of UT2003, patched to the latest (v2225), and ran a CTF map I've been beating the life out of lately...

Now, I'm running the CPU (XP2100+ "B"), oddly, slower ATM (was 12.5 x 180, 2250MHz, now at 11 x 200, 2200MHz) with the same Ti4200 128MB. Instant 20FPS increase on this map from before...yeehaa!

12232 3D Mk 2001 SE, vs a previous best well under 10K on a KT333 board (w/ 512MB DDR total)

I'd have to go digging on the CDRs to find the screenie, but I know the scores from PC Mk 2002 are significanly higher now, too.

That's just with basic, native intuition, in the BIOS....once I get this beast really dialed in....... :eek:

BTW....this went into the "Tribute Rig" case (see "sig" links), so the CPU and NB are watercooled. I put a fanless chipset cooler on the SB, too.

Next stop is an 8x AGP card...then we'll se what those framerates in UT2K3 look like...;)

Fun, fun, fun....

B.

what about going from nf2 -->nf2? would I need to install windows xp again (I just want to get into windows to move stuff out b4 I format). I'm going from Epox 8RDA+ to NF7-S

Back