• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The die temp diodes location, and the best possible achived die temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bullion

Registered
Hi all, Im trying to determine a "safe" operating temp region for my chip. The die temperature sensor is obviously located somewhere within the chip (AMD tbred B) Im assuming not on the actual chip ceramic/organic substrate but rather In the die as the name implies. Looking at the temps im getting;
Case 25
Water Block 28
Socket (under the chip) 35
Die 49

I see that the waterblock is only 3 deg above ambient obviously my setup is fairly tame and ideally id want to have a lower block temp but still a die temp of 49 is massive in comparison. If the block temp was equal to the ambient case temps id expect that the die temp would still be 46 (this is all at 1.8v 2100B@ 2300mhz) upon casual inspection it appears the trend is 1 deg on the water block correlates to about 1 deg on the die. What is the best achievable DIE temp (NOT socket temps) people have achieved on water that is not activley cooled (eg Just a radiator, no ice or phase change setups). Interestingly after I did a volt mod to my board and jacked up the Vcore to 2.1V my die temp went up to 60deg and the difference between idle and load was 60 compared to 63. The system was still stable at 63 and the overclock achievable went up to 2450mhz.

cheers for any advice or info provided

My guess is your motherboard manufacturer screws with the die readings. I don't think its really that high with water cooling thats done right. Other peoples readings don't matter unless they have the same motherboard, revision and bios revision :)

yeah im aware that is the case but im really quite curious what die temps people are getting? or at least being reported via MB sensors

Your temps are most likely a lot more accurate than those of people whose motherboards report sub-30 degree load temperatures, which unfortunately is extremely common these days. My socket load is reported to be around 38°C, so my die should probably be a little higher than yours. Your temps are certainly safe, and my best guess is that would be very similar to what most others also get on water. Hope this helps.

Why is it hard to belive in sub 30 temps? if its a good block with a good rad it is possible...

My die temp was 33c(stock) with air, a 2400 on the same mobo with same hsf was 45c(stock) idle, imho it is belivable.

thats what im trying to quantify, I dont think it is at all possible for a sub 30 temp if the case temp is 25 and the water block is only 3 deg above ambient (eg 28). It is impossible to cool the block to below ambient. From my understanding you have to worry about the thermal interface, and then the block which if made from copper, two blocks at the same temp from my extrapolation and reasoning should produce the same die temp. But i maybe wrong, Personally I doubt it but i may be.

33 at stock is believeable. 33° at 2300mhz at 1.8v is quite another story. Lets suppose that the waterblock has a thermal resistance of roughly .20 C/W. this is an abitrary, but logical number. If the waterblock's temp is 28, then the water's temp can be expected to be 28 also.
Your processor is dissipating approximately 112W at what its at. Thus the delta between your processor's core and the water/waterblock temperature would be 112*.20=22.26.
Adding the delta to the water temp should get us a good estimate of the core at load, which is 50.26°C. This also shows that waterblock temp and core temp vary in a direct, linear relation. This is just a rough estimate, but it should give you an idea. With that said, many can be expected to be running core temps of around 60°C, and it shouldn't be of much concern, as long as the system is stable. Hope this helps.

yeah thats exactly my line of reasoning, I really wanted to know what temps people with 2volts were getting and wether i should be running at around 60 deg constant.

Back