• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 of PAL8045

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

Basically found these two in some classifieds, I have a few questions:

1. Witch Cools Best?
  2. Whats the fitting like on the Alpha the fitting design looks like the core could be easily crushed, witch puts me off as im paranoid about that sort of thing anyway.
  3. Witch would you go for and why?
    [/list=1]

Well basically what I mean is i dont like the look of the way the alpha mounts, by the four screws and not a retention clip. It looks like the screws could be overtightend and crush the core, i know theres springs to try stop this, but it looks like it could all be too easily done

:)

It's not hard to install those at all, and once they are on they are much more secure. My slk-900 was my first heatsink, and it took me abut 5-10minutes, and I didn't do too bad installing it.

The screws hit the bottom of the standoffs so you can't just keep tightening. If you just tightened one side down all the way it might chip it. Just tighten it on opposite corners first.

Like sandman said, it's much more secure to have it bolted down, plus you don't have to worry about having too much stress on your socket.

I will probably go for the alpha then its sounds like the best out of the two, thanks for the info people!

:)

i own the alpha pal 8045..... works great been overclocking for a while now.... looking to go water cooling tho! :);)

PAL 8045 absolutely!! Owned and operated one for a while now. Make sure it fits you mobo first, though.

As for crushed core potential, personally, I would be far MORE concerend about core damage using a HS with a spring clip.

Pick up a properly sized shim, if you're really worried.

Just tighten the bolts down in a criss-cross pattern, like lug nuts. Should have no problems. Tighten the bolts til they just reach bottom. DO NOT snug them in, though. That leads to spinnies. Fortun8ly, where there's a sickness, there's a cure. Check it out:

Stop those PAL 8045 spinnes

Hope it helps,
N8

Back