• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mom said it's okay! ...what to do now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all. This goes along with another post I made, about using an old 5640BTU window airconditioner for chilling a watercooling system. I just wanted to know some scientific facts before i start the hacking and chopping (i am a National Honor Society member, so I "could" probably figure all this out...but, I am American...and why do something when someone else can tell you?)
You dont have to answer them all, just what u can ^_^.

-Okay...I dont want to run up the electricity bill, so I am going to be using an insulated reservoir - - how big do you think I need to be most effecient? How long will I need to run the darn thing too?

-This compressor is mondo-sized, about ...oh, 28cm tall, and 7 or so centimeters wide. How much heat do you think this thing will be throwing out...into my basement... ? Is there some better way to do this? to get the heat somewhere else? like, should i try and use my brain to figure out a way to vent it outside?

-Does it matter if I save $$$, and get a slow pump and a slightly cheaper cpu block? I mean, this thing is supposed to get to like, negative degrees here, so...I doubt it matters

-I wont be using a radiator, correct? That would warm the liquid with the room's heat.

-Umm...is plastic tubing okay? (albeit insulated)

-Eih...tell me anything else that you feel is important, please ^_^, because I want to start, and finish this thing by friday ^_^

THANK YOU ALL A LOT

:D :clap: ;)

dreammmatt said:

Just make the resivour slightly larger than the coils ;)

The compressor shouldnt throw an immense amount of heat... id be worried a bit more about the codensor coils

Make sure the pump is just powerful enough... The block.. well you WILL get better results.. ;)

YOU WILL NOT GO BELOW ZERO!! :D The temperature of the water will NOT go below zero... i am telling you that from right now :D

You can use a radiator BEFORE the liquid enters the res and it would certainly help temps a bit ;) (if you want i can look aroiund and build you a mondo cheapo rad for a good cheap price)

Plastic tubing is fine.

I would run the pump an dthe air conditioner for just a bit before you turn on your comp f or the first time ;)

REMEMBER YOU *MUST* insulate your motherboard and cpu!

why cant I go below zero? i am going to be using like, antifreeze ^_^ so, the glycol will drop the freezing point past 0*C, so I think 0*C and beyond is possible.

think like, antifreeze, water wetter, and water would be good?

dreammmatt said:
why cant I go below zero? i am going to be using like, antifreeze ^_^ so, the glycol will drop the freezing point past 0*C, so I think 0*C and beyond is possible.

lol, it's a less than 6000 btu air conditioner, your not goint to get the water below 0 degrees celsius.

some guy got negative 20 something from an old mini-fridge...could the thing honestly be more than an aircontioner? How powerful of a ac would i need? would i needa use the 18,000BTU airconditioner instead? I have 2 at my disposal, a 5640 and a 18,000

dreammmatt said:
Hi all. This goes along with another post I made, about using an old 5640BTU window airconditioner for chilling a watercooling system. I just wanted to know some scientific facts before i start the hacking and chopping (i am a National Honor Society member, so I "could" probably figure all this out...but, I am American...and why do something when someone else can tell you?)
You dont have to answer them all, just what u can ^_^.

-Okay...I dont want to run up the electricity bill, so I am going to be using an insulated reservoir - - how big do you think I need to be most effecient? How long will I need to run the darn thing too?

-This compressor is mondo-sized, about ...oh, 28cm tall, and 7 or so centimeters wide. How much heat do you think this thing will be throwing out...into my basement... ? Is there some better way to do this? to get the heat somewhere else? like, should i try and use my brain to figure out a way to vent it outside?

-Does it matter if I save $$$, and get a slow pump and a slightly cheaper cpu block? I mean, this thing is supposed to get to like, negative degrees here, so...I doubt it matters

-I wont be using a radiator, correct? That would warm the liquid with the room's heat.

-Umm...is plastic tubing okay? (albeit insulated)

-Eih...tell me anything else that you feel is important, please ^_^, because I want to start, and finish this thing by friday ^_^

THANK YOU ALL A LOT

:D :clap: ;)

hit there,

well I did it with an 8000 btu air conditioner and I got one of the beach coolers and stick the coils inside, and I could get the temps to -20c quick and then I turn on the pc, I was cooling a 220w tec and it gave me good temps:)

don't use a radiator

Try the 5640btu first and see what it could do and if not enought you can use the higher one, but I think you will be fine with the 5640btu one because you are not using a tec,

also if you get some time check this out: try phase-change.com or even here and posted this question

"Can I get higher temps out an ac airconditioner if I lower slightly the low side pressure by letting out some freon with a pierce valve?"

I'm not sure but you should be able to get lower temps out of the air conditioner if you let some of the freon out, that way it would lower the low side and the evaporator will get lower temps:eek:

dreammmatt said:

5k btu one should be fine but ims aying without any heat load sure it might be able to get below zero with antifreeze... but as soon as you turn on the pc the temps WONT be below zero!

HEY btw any chance youc ould work otu a deal for that 18k btu ac?? :)

how cold do u think that the 5640BTU one would be under load? the way I see it, as long as it is cold enough to get my 1700+ close to 3GHz, that is peachy. How cold do u think that, under load, the 18K one would be?
(and I dont know what my parents are doing with the 18K one...)

you should get below zero with that 5k btu unit no problem. Maybe -20c idle, Im not sure about load though. Heatloss is a big issure with chillers, you need to insulate everything very well to prevent any heatloss from the res and hoses.

the guy on overclockers.com, in the guides, used an old 'mini-fridge' and did -20*C, so...i suppose it is possible, and I am going to be quite thorough in terms of insulation ^_^. Think an Ice Chest is okay? Or should i do something even beefier? Perhaps dualing ice chests? one inside the other? And my pipes will all be covered in that black foamy insulation junk ^_^.

Just to clarify...i WONT need to have that thing running all the time, would I? ("that thing" being the airconditioner, i am suggesting turning that off, and just circulating the chilled water for as long as possible.) How long do u think that a fairly large ice chest size resrvoir of -20*C antifreeze/water mix would last me?

dreammmatt said:
the guy on overclockers.com, in the guides, used an old 'mini-fridge' and did -20*C, so...i suppose it is possible, and I am going to be quite thorough in terms of insulation ^_^. Think an Ice Chest is okay? Or should i do something even beefier? Perhaps dualing ice chests? one inside the other? And my pipes will all be covered in that black foamy insulation junk ^_^.

Just to clarify...i WONT need to have that thing running all the time, would I? ("that thing" being the airconditioner, i am suggesting turning that off, and just circulating the chilled water for as long as possible.) How long do u think that a fairly large ice chest size resrvoir of -20*C antifreeze/water mix would last me?

Blah.

Just send me the 18k btu a/c :D

dreammmatt said:

hi there again, you WILL NOT SEE -20C on the cpu, you might get it on the liquid, and anti-freezes sucks, just use windshield waper fluid without adding anything to it;)

also one rest is good, and for the rest of your questions, you will only find them by doing and finding out, there are so many variables for us to start guessing and be accurate:rolleyes:

get it going and keep us posted:D

nunez1980 said:

hi there again, you WILL NOT SEE -20C on the cpu, you might get it on the liquid, and anti-freezes sucks, just use windshield waper fluid without adding anything to it;)

also one rest is good, and for the rest of your questions, you will only find them by doing and finding out, there are so many variables for us to start guessing and be accurate:rolleyes:

get it going and keep us posted:D

EXAAAAAAACTLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

You wont see -20 cpu temps!!!

Blah no one listens!!!

lol - - "get it going and keep us posted" - - love that attitude, too bad soooo many people dont share it, it can be a drag sometimes -_-...lol, like my dad's...he wants me to try it out with ice first, instead of the a/c unit...

the only way you are going to find out what temps you are going to get is by trying it. The size of the compressor is not going to matter as much as the metering devise and refrigerant being used. A mini-fridge is made to run colder than a AC so it is already calibrated to run cooler. However a AC unit is going to be able to take a much bigger load then a fridge setup would handle. A ice chest would prolly work pretty good, but if you used an ice chest in an ice chest then that would be better. I donno if you are going to get -20c temps, maybe like -15c idle would be more realistic.

Warlord2 said:
the only way you are going to find out what temps you are going to get is by trying it. The size of the compressor is not going to matter as much as the metering devise and refrigerant being used. A mini-fridge is made to run colder than a AC so it is already calibrated to run cooler. However a AC unit is going to be able to take a much bigger load then a fridge setup would handle. A ice chest would prolly work pretty good, but if you used an ice chest in an ice chest then that would be better. I donno if you are going to get -20c temps, maybe like -15c idle would be more realistic.

again about -15c that will be too low, lol, so you think cold water wiill get you temps that even a vapo can't with in some situations:p

he will get lower than ambient but not by much

Back