• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Stock Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

How does the intel HSF compare to others on the market? I am upgrading and I want to overclock my p4c alot, but need to know if the stock cooler is good until I can scrape up enough extra money for a800 or 900u. How far can the stock cooler take me?

I have a 2.4c @ 265fsb ~3185mhz on the stock cooler

I did remove the thermal pad and used as3 though.

I'll go higher when i finally get my whitewater.

The stock cooler is not too shabby. You can do a pretty darn good overclock with it. You aren't going to take your chip to its limits with it, though. The SLK-X00-U series will allow you to go further, and do it with less noise. How? They take bigger fans. Bigger fans have more airflow at lower noise levels. On top of that, they conduct heat away from the chip better.

Gautam said:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/
This must be the third time I've posted this link today.
Dont complain, and so what, I say things over and over, they are asked again, and I say it again, I dont whine and complain, why should you, it happens.

Besides, he didnt really ask how well it performed in a bench or the c/w, he wanted to know how much of an OC it could handle and if it would do for now, which it will.

stay with the stock cooler till it cant do its job anymore
you'll get a pretty good OC with it and you wont have to spend extra $$

CrystalMethod said:
The stock cooler is actually pretty good. I keep wondering how well a stock Intel HSF would do to cool an AMD.

Hmmm...would anyone care to mod one to go on a socket A? :D

As far as the HS goes, do some research on the Zalman 7000Cu as well. I hear its performance on P4 systems is just as good, if not better, than the SLK-900U. For your stock cooler, I think you should be able to go pretty far with it if you lap it and replace that thermal pad with AS(3 or Ceramique).

It would probably do poorly on a socket A cpu. That intel heatsink is all aluminum, but the intel heatspreader is made of copper, and it acts like the copper inserts on many heatsinks. The heatspreader is pretty pointless, though, when you have a copper heatsink.

Caffinehog said:
The heatspreader is pretty pointless, though, when you have a copper heatsink.

Well, not exactly. It allows heatsinks to be mounted with high clamping pressures on P4 chips, which is a definite plus for cooling. And, it is necessary for a P4's thermal throttling to kick in under emergency circumstances (ie: system is turned on without a HS or with one mounted very poorly).

It serves many purposes, but when it comes down to cooling, the P4 runs cooler without the IHS, no matter what HSF you're using.

The stock HSF will serve you well untill you can get a better one. See signature for my results with stock equipment.
Just one suggestion. Remove the stock pad on the HS, lap it and then re-install using Artctic Silver 3. Helps keep thing kool.

Back