• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chilled water Dualie fedex box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
I think my FedEx box deserves some recognition. It’s rigged with a Thermotek Chiller to cool my dual XP1700s. I’m now running 2380 MHz 1.65v with water temp set to 25c and CPUs at 100% load are 40c and 42c. Ambient is 30c until the AC brings it down to the twenties. Once the houses AC is down I'll be able to lower the water temps without fear of condensation. If I’m lucky I'll be able to hit 2550 MHz. I’m quite happy with the setup now but it will soon change. I’m designing my second clear case out of Lexan and many of these parts will be used in the project. The lexan case will be complete with a monster heater core, 172mm fan and 300 GPH pump. I have no plans to house the chiller in the case due to size and weight. The water system for the new case will however incorporate a direct chiller hookup so I can use normal water cooling or chilled water. The lexan case will be cool, but nothing compares to my trusty old newegg FedEx box.

dualiechilled2.jpg

Ct. Strangelove said:
Interesting....

How many amps is the chiller sucking?

675 watts max with water set to 4c. It can take 210 watts of heat down to ambient or 95 watts 20c below ambient. Temperature stability is +/- .1c!

I’m now running the water at 22c and I get 37 and 39 CPU temp according to the K7D Master L sensors. This is using a 30 GPH centrifugal pump so if I switch to my 300 GPH Maxi Jet I'll drop temps a little more. I can go 15c or so cooler with my water but that will require insulation.

Last edited:
I lowered my water temps to 11c and here is what I get at full load. I was able to squeeze a a bit more MHz out of the rig to! 2550 is almost in reach!

chilly.JPG

If I used a 300 GPH pump instead of the chillers pump I bet temps would be even more amazing.

Eventually I'll replace the chillers pump with one of my Maxi Jet 1200s. The chiller has pleanty of room inside so it shouldnt be a problem.

Noise isn't all that bad. It uses 2 decent CFM 120mm Comair Rotron Muffin fans. Compaired to 2x 8k 60mm fans this thing is silent :p

Currently I have 2x XP1700s running Prime95 stable @ 2550 MHz :eek:
You can read all the details in SMP.

Back