• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A tragic tale...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazr

Registered
I went to my friend's 3 day "LAN party". I had the side of my case off to let more air into and one of my friends hit the side that was off, causing it to crash into my case. Luckily it only hit the heatsink/fan, but caused one of the blades to pop off, one to crack so badly I had to take it off for the fan to move, and ALL the blades are cracked a little. My case temps didn't really change...

I was wondering heat sink and fan I should buy to replace this one? I have an Athlon XP 2000+, socket a, and I am using a messed up Volcano 9 right now. I was thinking of an SLK-800 U with a Smart Fan II, but I'm not sure if this is only good for pentium's etc.

Thanks for your input :)

SLK-800 would be a great replacement. I'm sorry to hear your depressing story of woe =/. Just be glad it didn't do MORE damage. You should make your friend pay for this btw =p.

I would, but my friend has no money right now. Thankfully it was the person who isn't loaded with cash 24/7 to break my fan. What about the ThermalTake Smart Fan II?

the TT smart fan II is good as well. u can manually adjust it to suit ur needs (turn it up if u need more airflow, turn it down if u want it to be more quiet) or use the thermal probe and have it automatically change speeds depending on ur cpu temp.

Wait Wait Wait!!! Your friend busted your HSF and you didnt see a difference in temps??? Am I hearing this correctly?

You could just replace the fan on your existing heatsink. (As I recall, any 80mm fan will work on the v9.)

Otherwise, the SK7 or SLK-800 would be an excellent choice. You can get the SK7 for $20 at SVC (too bad you didn't do it yesterday, as it was on sale for $17 with a coupon code), and I believe the SLK-800 can be had for $34.

I'm glad you only lost a fan. It's always risky running with the case open when other people are around. I'd recommend looking into installing a side blowhole / intake above the CPU to duct fresh air towards the CPU. This can be done very easily (see http://www.math.umn.edu/~macklin/images/ocforum/pseudoduct/ , for example).

Good luck! -- Paul

@kazr:
I just noticed that you're looking at the SLK-900u and previously had the V9. Are you using a P4-based system?

(Of course, if so, toss out the SK7 and SLK-800a suggestions, unless you get the adapter that Joe has mentioned in a past review.)

*edit* Never mind. Upon rereading your post, I see that you're looking at the Socket A cooling.

Please do note that the SLK-900 and SLK-800 perform roughly the same, the SLK-800 is less expensive, and it has been reported here in the forums that a 92mm fan can be made to work in the 800 series heatsinks.

*/edit*

@Daniel:
According to the rankings, the SLK-900U performs .04C/W better than the 462+ with the same fan. In day-to-day applications, they may be closer together, but in such a case, price should be the determining factor. (When two products are roughly equivalent in performance and quality, choose the less expensive.) In that case, the SLK-900U would be the preferred heatsink.

Thanks -- Paul

Your original suggestion: SLK 800 and Smartfan II is perfect. Very hard combo to beat.

edit: noticed you did it at a lan party so you should go with the SLK800U so it stays put.

Agreed. Since you're carrying it around, the hole-based mounting will certainly be worth the while.

Hmmm, at SVC, the SLK-800U is $38, and the SLK-900U is $45. The performance difference is minimal, so I'd personally recommend the 800U. The 900U is larger, but by only about 3 grams, or 0.53%, so again, the performance difference is minimal. "Native" support of a 92mm fan is nice, but again, that can be done with the SLK800U with some effort. :)

-- Paul

The 4-Hole mounting will be a necessity like macklin01 said. It's also easier and less stressful to install in my opinion. SLK800 and the SmartFanII will prolly be your best price/performance value, but if you do get the 900 it has 4 hole mounting so you shouldn't have ta worry about it breaking the socket during travel.

drunkmonkey said:
The 4-Hole mounting will be a necessity like macklin01 said. It's also easier and less stressful to install in my opinion. SLK800 and the SmartFanII will prolly be your best price/performance value, but if you do get the 900 it has 4 hole mounting so you shouldn't have ta worry about it breaking the socket during travel.

The SLK-800 has a U version with the 4-hole mounting system. Get the U, but also when you transport your computer, lay it on its side for extra safety. But whether you can get the U version depends on your motherboard. What motherboard are you running? It's necessary that your motherboard has the mounting holes around the socket in order to bolt it down.

BTW, I'm using the SLK-800 w/ Smart Fan II, and it's been a great combo for me. :)

go with the SK7 since you got an AMD system. Cheap and the performance difference isnt much. Just make sure to get a reliable fan. Maybe you should get an Aluminum one??? jk

It has the four holes, at least in the picture here.

I would go for the U version of the SLK-X00. Air cooling can't get much better, and socket A is being phased out soon. The U version fits P4's, and should fit Athlon64's. This means you won't have to buy a new heatsink the next time you upgrade.

Back