• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the 8RDA+ hate me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well, it all started back in late February, when all those bios issues were getting resolved. I had my 8RDA+ working fine for a month and decided to check a few things in the bios and it won't POST and the LED gets stuck at FF and all the fans and drives are running. Well, instead of changing the bios chip (which I probably should have done), I RMA'd the board to Censuspc in March (there goes $20) and have been on my PII350 since. I've only gotten more problems.

Once I got the board back in April (their explanation is that once they receive it they have to send it to Epox), and have had the exact same problem. It worked fine out of the box, though it still had an old bios (it didn't have that fix about the bios issue). After doing the basic testing (cpu, vid, ram) and seeing it posting fine and did memtest just for the hell of it and it passed. I decided to install it into the case and, once again it won't POST, and the LED gets stuck on FF. This time, I get a new bios chip yet the problem remains. So I RMA the board once again (another $20), now late May (combination of time it took to get a bios chip, and me being lazy).

I get the board back today, and I'm praying to god that it'll work fine. I do the basic test, and it scares the hell out of me when it gets stuck on C1 after resetting the CMOS many times. It turns out, the ram only likes Dimm3. So it POSTs and the first thing I do is put in the most recent bios. I check that it works by powering it up a few more times. Then time to install it into the case. Guess what, the damn thing won't POST again. I don't want to spend another $20 just to have it not work again once I get it back a month later from the RMA (and those $60 could have gotten me another stick of ram or another hard drive). I really am thinking about switching to intel or just getting a cheap board and forget about overclocking all together. I'm really getting the impression that maybe I'm in the wrong hobby (it doesn't help that this is the second time I'm typing this up because THE FORUM THOUGHT LOGGED OFF THE FIRST TIME and lost the post I was typing before).

Thanks for letting me vent a little
Tipycol

Last edited:
Oh yeah, for those that want a little more specific info to try and help me this is what I did on those three occasions. Another thing is, I have water cooling with a white water block and z chipset block. While I don't clearly remember what I was changing in the bios, I know that the chip was the problem, because thats the only thing that I did to the system that day, so I doubt it'd be anything else.

The second time straight out of the box, I put in my AIW 7500, PC2100, and XP1600 and ran memtest with no problems. Then I clean the NB and install the z chipset (while the white water was installed, I tested it with the z chipset off and stock cooling) and move the NB heatsink to the SB. Installed it into the case hooking it up to a 8 and 40 gig harddrives and a dvd-rom and cdrw and it won't POST. Took it out of the case with the basics again but the problem stayed. Tried taking out WC and putting NB heatsink back on NB but no change.

Today, I installed the same vid, cpu (with stock fan this time), and ram and it POSTed fine. Flashed to the newest bios then, after powering it up a few times, installed the water cooling same way by cleaning NB. Then put it in the case with same drives and once again it won't POST. Not sure what to do, haven't troublshooted it yet because right now I don't want to touch it. I'll try to take it out of the case later and test with the basics. Because what I've been doing, I'm guessing the case/watercooling (or maybe even the fact I'm cleaning the NB) are the factors affecting the board. Anyone else have an opinion or idea to what I should do? Should I just return this board and get an Asus or Abit nforce 2?

Thanks
Tipycol

Last edited:
Back