• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making A Blowhollllllle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

how would i go about doing this? i would imagine i make four holes with an 80x80mm hole in the middle hehe, but with what? i've heard a dremel.. what kind of attachment? my dad was talking about a chassis punch, i dont know what that is exactly.. but is it the best thing to use?

a 3" inch hole saw for a 80mm fan should work

i use dremel with a cut off wheel
i usually use the cover of a pringles can for template

OLMI said:
a cover of a pringles can? lol is that the right size? like 80mm?

yes...
its about the same size
maybe 1-2mm bigger than the hole from the window i got with precut holes for 80mm

ive been using it for a while too :D

i used a hole saw for mine. i did 2 , 120mm blowholes in the top of my case about 2 months ago, and it came out good, but i warn you, if you do it while someone is holding the case for you..make sure the hole saw doesn't bite, because it will either cause the drill to try to break your wrist, or cause the case to spin out of the assistants hands. my 11 year old son helped me with mine, and it is soft aluminum, and it took the case out of his hands just once, and caused a slight scratch, but not bad at all. the next one i did was on a steel case, and it was an 80mm hole. my friend was doing the drilling, and when that sucker bit into the steel, he almost got hurt...lol..... his biggest error was the fact that he was pushing too hard, and wasn't completely straight up and down, but he was on a slight angle instead. his blowhole also came out good in the end.

i would like to add, that i was using some very good quality hole saws..but...they were meant for rougher stuff like doing wood. this is why we had the issue of it biting.

if you want to buy a hole saw for the job, i would suggest a decent quality, but either way, make sure it's for metal...the finer teeth are better than large teeth, like mine has.

i would always use a hole saw, instead of a dremel, because the dremel jobs take a lot of time, and are usually a bit jagged at times, since the cut is straight, and you are on a constant curve on the blowhole job.

i would like to learn more on that "punch" you mentioned above...sounds like a hole punch, but bigger than i have seen...but i bet it would work very nice. let us know if you can get more specific info on that, or maybe even a link...that'd be nice....:)

Last edited:
i'll ask my dad more about it and i'll maybe even try it on my case.. but i dont know if i really want to do that anymore since none of you use that method hehehe, we'll see

Strida said:
If you do end up doing it with a dremel, there was a post back a ways about using superglue on the disks, which is a very good idea.

superglue for what? how was it used, and what was the benefit? sounds interesting......:)

The disks do shatter easily if you don't go slow with just enough pressure. The re-enforced disks last longer and are a little bigger to start with.

I think the "punch" his dad is talking about is a "Greenly Punch". While they supposedly make the cleanest cut of anything out there. They are also suppoed to be really expensive.

CrystalMethod said:
I think the "punch" his dad is talking about is a "Greenly Punch". While they supposedly make the cleanest cut of anything out there. They are also suppoed to be really expensive.

thank you for the reply. i'll look it up. ;)

The tool is a "Greenlee Punch", if your going to look it up. They run anywhere from $200- well over $1,000 for a set of them. They are a ratchet looking tool which uses torque to cut an 'exacto' specific hole. A waste to purchase, unless you cut a good deal of holes.

Hope that info helps.

My two cents would be to use the hole saw, if you don't have one, see if a neighbor does they are quite common.

Note- As mentioned be sure it is used the blade on it is used to cut metal, the wood cutting blades aren't really all that well suited for aluminum or steel.

Good luck with the project!

if you do have access to a punch then use it!!!

it'll make the cleanest hole possible... i had a machineshop make my 1st blowhole with one a while back

since then i've used a dremel... here's how:

1- draw the circle on your case
2- fill in the circle with a sharpie (or about 1/2" from the edge if you're lazy)
3- use a cutting wheel to remove as much of the 'sharpied' metal as you can
4- use the grinding wheel to smooth out the edges
5- use sand paper to complete the job

that's it... fairly easy...

madsam said:
i used a hole saw for mine. i did 2 , 120mm blowholes in the top of my case about 2 months ago, and it came out good, but i warn you, if you do it while someone is holding the case for you..make sure the hole saw doesn't bite, because it will either cause the drill to try to break your wrist, or cause the case to spin out of the assistants hands. my 11 year old son helped me with mine, and it is soft aluminum, and it took the case out of his hands just once, and caused a slight scratch, but not bad at all. the next one i did was on a steel case, and it was an 80mm hole. my friend was doing the drilling, and when that sucker bit into the steel, he almost got hurt...lol..... his biggest error was the fact that he was pushing too hard, and wasn't completely straight up and down, but he was on a slight angle instead. his blowhole also came out good in the end.

i would like to add, that i was using some very good quality hole saws..but...they were meant for rougher stuff like doing wood. this is why we had the issue of it biting.

if you want to buy a hole saw for the job, i would suggest a decent quality, but either way, make sure it's for metal...the finer teeth are better than large teeth, like mine has.

i would always use a hole saw, instead of a dremel, because the dremel jobs take a lot of time, and are usually a bit jagged at times, since the cut is straight, and you are on a constant curve on the blowhole job.

i would like to learn more on that "punch" you mentioned above...sounds like a hole punch, but bigger than i have seen...but i bet it would work very nice. let us know if you can get more specific info on that, or maybe even a link...that'd be nice....:)

Holesaws are very dangerous. Seen someone break thier arm with one at a job site when it binded in a 4x4...not a pretty site at all. I am about to do a couple for my case, what site bits did you use for your 120's madsam?

Back