• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put fan on south bridge????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

Would putting a Thermaltake Blue Orb on my south bridge controller (SiS 963L) improve perfomance????????

asus_mobo.jpg

I dont think it will make any difference, when ur PC is running touch the southbridge, is it hot? Well mine is not hot at all but it is slightly warm. You can always do it cause it looks cool, I did but again I didnt notice any difference.

If you're not overclocking i wouldn't worry about it. If you are, if its pretty warm it won't hurt to thow a passive sink on there. If its hot and your'e overclocking, and especially if you're volt modding it i would throw a socket7 hsf on there (i happen to find them cheaply) w/ arctic silver and crazy glue (CA). All parts of the mobo run better when cooler. Mofsets, voltage regulators, i've even seen people cool the ide controllers. Will u see an overclocking improvement? Maybe, but only if the southbridge or whatever you're cooling is whats holding you back right now.

-Chris

Hmm, if you're running into hdd corruption issues with overclocking, then a heatsink on the SB could be useful. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to say "no". But others are right, too: if the chip feels hot to the touch, then some cooling probably wouldn't hurt matters.

BTW, I've run into two of your picture posts that don't show up within the text (red X's) because they're hosted on geocities. I'd recommend using the

picture here[ /url] (with no spaces, of course ;))

method to link them instead, since that's what geocities seems to prefer.

-- Paul

It probably wont help performance wise.. it might be a good idea if you experience some problems with anything sb related..

However, don't count on getting any extra performance (i.e. higher overclock) because of it. A passive heatsink is often more than enough on a SB.. you could for instance get one of those Zalman NB heatsinks and put it there..

some motherboards really benefit from the extra cooling (like the NF7-S), most don't though. i run a vantec iceberq on my southbridge and it allowed me to run at 225Mhz fsb instead of 210Mhz, i probably wouldn't have needed the iceberq if i wasn't using the onboard sound though.

bottem line: it can't hurt performance but more often then not it won't increase performance either.

If that picture is really your motherboard. Forget the southbridge, get a cooler on the northbridge! :D

But, in all seriousness, I don't think it would hurt performance at all. You've got nothing to lose, and potentially somehting to gain. Why the heck not if you already have a cooler lying around?

@CrystalMethod:
LOL, at first glance, I thought he had set a PIII Coppermine on his mobo. ;)

@texuspete00:
I'd be inclined to agree. Some cooling would probably be good, but there's no call for the added noise for a cooler. Passive would be preferable in this case, in my opinion. -- Paul

Back