• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

north or south?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i have an asus a7n8x rev 2.0 board right next to my cpu i have the north or south bridge and i have thet silver heatsink on it can anyone tell me if i could mount a fan on it and if i could where can i get a fan for it? and so they come with screws or something.

Thanks guys

Next to CPU?

North Bridge. (it's up north... :D)

Yes you can put a fan on it.
I take mine off, clean it, put AS3 on it.
(I actually also put a .025" piece of copper under it)
and put it back on.

Fans. Find one that fits.
I found one that fit my NB HS perfect in diameter,
& just used Al "Dust tape" to hold it on.

Works fine.
But that's my .02
& a BUMP 4 U. :D

A crystal orb will mount on the NB...just have to adjust the pin slightly since the pin spacing is about 1 or 2 cm too long for the NB mounting holes...I used a plastic knife to move the pins around until they clipped in...I used a plastic knife so I didn't scratch the MB...

login211 said:
get a 40x40x20 fan, get some long screws, just screw the fan on, it's that easy

That easy to fry your MB if you get too long of screws and short it out on the MB tray...

Epoxy a HS is better then doing that...

If the heatsink is removeable, then you should be able to add a h.s./fan combo to the mobo. Often a video card cooler can do the job. Most northies have "push pin" type holding clamps, and are the same as a vid card cooler.

DocClock aka MadClocker said:
If the heatsink is removeable, then you should be able to add a h.s./fan combo to the mobo. Often a video card cooler can do the job. Most northies have "push pin" type holding clamps, and are the same as a vid card cooler.

But the NB mounting holes are slightly smaller then that of a VC...example...the crystal orb will fit on the NB of a Asus A7N8X Deluxe..but after slightly pushing one of the pins in for them to seat correctly...the mounting holes are about 1-2 cm's too short...but not short enough to be able to get them in and still seat flat...but on a 8RDA+, they are about 2-4 cm's too short, so no matter what, you can not get the pins to seat and it must be epoxied on...

glock19owner said:

That easy to fry your MB if you get too long of screws and short it out on the MB tray...

Epoxy a HS is better then doing that...

what are you talking about? why would someone every screw something into their motherboard??

get screws that are long enough that they hold your fan securely on your nb hs

and if you want to buy a hsf get the Vantec Copper IceBerQ , fits nicely and it comes with a small copper heatsink that you can stick on the sb

don't use epoxy of any kind, it may be permanent or would be difficult to remove, modding your board in anyway will void your warranty so you want to use stuff that cleans up easy and leaves no traces

Last edited:
login211 said:
modding your board in anyway will void your warranty so you want to use stuff that cleans up easy and leaves no traces

That includes adding anything that was not factory installed...including a vantec HS...and the vantec is only 5cfm while the crystal orb is 12cfm...

And if you know what you are doing...like making your own Epoxy, then it wont be permanent (easy to take off) and some nailpolish remover will take it all of the residue off

vantec iceberq is all COPPER, crystal orb has only a copper base i believe... you also get another small all copper heatsink which you can put on the sb so it's a better buy specially if you own a a7n8x deluxe which is known for it's crackling/poping sound problems that are fixed most of the time by putting a heatsink on the sb

as long as you don't lose your original heatsink there's no worries, pop on the original when you need to rma..

i would never glue anything down on mobo unless had to.I have bolts that hold down cpu,northbridge,and 9500pro water block.
If u end up going with bolts just make sure they are flat on the bottom.Start them thrue the bottom,and install nuts on the top.Oh and by the way if you needed to make the hole bigger it can be done.Just be very carefull not to start to big,and use your hand instead of drill.Make sure u have a magnifyer handy to check your progress.
:cool:

radman

Back