• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The final vertict on slot blowers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Iv heard they are crap but here me out and then tell me that im a micromanaging delusional that needs to go play an RTS. Why not have 2 sets of airflow-the general in at the bottom front out at the top back setup, and then a graphics setup where air goes in the side flowing over the vid then the hot air under the vid that has just been blown in and taken heat from the vid gets sucked out a blower inthe slot under it. How well would this work? I realize the blower would have to be balanced in airflow with the intake.

I have not found a slot blower which does anything more than make more noise in my system. Even when placed right under the vid card.

When you have a side intake going over the vid card it blows hot air away from the slot blower anyway.

You are better off having air coming in a side intake over the vid card then have an exhaust fan in the back, which is usually right above the vid card, so its exhausting the vid card heat.

Just my opinion though :)

I only use them if I am *desperate* for some airflow. Like... in a Dell or something notorious for stagnant air. Any of the manufacturers that don't believe in case fans... they need any help they can get. The Dell 6350 for example... not only does it only have 1 fan (on the processor, ducted of course...grr) there is no place to add your own fans if you wanted. A lot of companies use this POS for their workstations... if I *really* need some better airflow, I wouldn't have a problem using a slot-cooler. I wouldn't expect them to do much of anything in the realm of overclockering though...

The problem I have with slot blowers, is that they draw air out of the case. If you put it under your video card, the fan on the video card is fighting for the same air that the slot blower is trying to remove. Hence, less airflow to the video card.

Yea thats true.. It would be interesting if you could reverse a slot blower so it would blow cool air directly into the Vid card fan.. I have not seen that done though.

What if you use one on top of your vid card (if your case has an open slot) to suck hot air off of it.

The top of the video card gets hot as well.

What about leaving a full pci slot between the slot cooler, and the gpu fan?

As you can tell I have a slot fan i bought on ebay for $5 including shipping and have no idea what the best way to use it is :D

It would be easier to just have the rear case fan as an exhaust since its right above the vid card in most cases.

Having a slot blower at the bottom of the case really doesnt help too much I would think since heat rises.

I have seen some that claim in upwards of 30 cfm but in reality are only in the 10 - 15 cfm range. That kind of exhaust wont help much if you have heat issues.

they're good in some specific applications

all my vid cards are fanless... i hate the noise tiny fans make

but if i game for extended periods on hot days my cards get quite toasty (finger burning toasty) so a well positioned slot blower helps to move a bit of air right off the vid card heatsink...

therefore... they're not for overclockers... they're for the other extreme of computer users: quiet freaks :D

If I didnt have a copper HS/fan on my Ti4400 not to mention ramsinks ont he memory, it would just melt...

Back