• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a mobo and ram for a Duron 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmxers21

Registered
Hi I need help with what mobo and ram I should get for a friends AMD Duron 1200mhz.. I can't go over $200 thats mobo and ram.. I don't know anything about AMD stuff so your help would be awesome.

He has a TNT 2 AGP card for it and a old 4gb hard drive so he doesn't need SATA or firewire stuff.. I'll be using my old parts to peice it together as well. Hes not going to do any OCing so I just want it to run good at stock speeds.

I would just pick up an inexpensive stick of 256mb PC133 sdram, and check Ebay for a Socket A mobo that will run that 1200mhz cpu. I wouldnt go sticking too much money into your buddies comp that is already on its last leg. A 4gb hdd wont harldy hold an OS and more than 2 of todays games. And that TNT 2 vid card wont be playing much more than Starcraft either, so go cheap and check Ebay. You can also check out www.pricewatch.com to find a cheap mobo and a stick of sdram.

Oh yeah I forgot about good old ebay :0) whats a good brand to go with though? he got a PC chips board with that CPU and it wont even power up.. but they are cheap and so is a ECS K7S5A PRO board... and they hold 133 ram and ddr ram.. but I hear they are problem boards :0\ My friend had one of the older ones with a XP1800 and he said it locked up and was really slow for him.. so I dont wanna buy a junk board then hear about it from him hehe.. I was thinking about getting one of these boards..

ECS K7S5A Pro 2.0 cheap! $47.00

Albatron KM18G PRO 2.0 $99.99

ASUS A7N8X-VM $119 the on board GeForce4 MX GPU would be better then the TNT 2 I'm sure..

ABIT NF7-M $122.00 The on board GeForce4 MX GPU would be better then the TNT 2 I'm sure..

for ram if I get a Dual DDR board CORSAIR MEMORY XMS 256MB 32MX64 PC-2700C2PT x2 $96

if I dont XMS 512MB 32MX8 PC-2700C2PT $81

what what do you think of them and does that ram work on them boards??? let me know the ECS board sure is cheap but I'm thinking ya get what you pay fore hehe

I would go with an Nforce2 chip set with on board graphics which you can use instead of your TNT2.

You could slowly upgrade everything else and have a top notch performer. get DDR(400)

yeah that's what I was thinking that way he could upgrad if he needed to later... whats the better board the Abit? Asus? or Albatron?

hmmm it doesnt look like the A7N8X-VM will work with the CPU he is going to use so it looks like I'm going to go with the Abit board.

The Abit board is the best pure overclockers board with all the small things the others lack. If you want to get the most out of your CPU then the Abit is the way to go. Then all he has to do is buy a 1700+ for $50 and overclock the (-)ELL out of it.

I am sure the EPOX will support Durons. Where did you hear that they wouldn't?

Last edited:
the A7N8X-VM is a ASUS board and it doesnt say anything about it on there webpage.. or on newegg.. but yeah I think I'm going to go with the Abit board..

The A7N8X-VM should work fine with a 1.2 Duron. An nForce2 motherboard should work with pretty much any socket A CPU all the way back to a Duron 600 or a TBird 650.

well I got the NF7-M and a twin pack of 3200LLPT and a Antec case with a 350watt PSU.
It should be here by Thrusday. I'll should ask him if he wants to get a XP1700 and not use that lame Duron 1200.. or maybe even get a 333fsb chip like the 2500+ for $90.. oh he got a 13gb hard drive from a friend as well.. good thing too that 4gb hd would have suxed hehe

Glad you got something.

For reference to others, I would check out Biostar socket A boards. Pretty cheap (~$48-$60,) yet highly reliable. They have a few models with different chipsets. If it is just a duron, and you have some solid PC133 laying around, you can get one of those boards that has both PC133 and DDR slots.

I got a duron 1200 off of someone ($20) and am looking to upgrade an old p3 system that has 512MB of good PC133ram. When I am ready, I will spring for one of these boards:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...tory=1442&catalog=22&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Back