• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KN72G-L Not recognizing IDE drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cfh666

This just started happening to me the other day. I will turn it on, and the BIOS will POST, but it takes about 3 minutes to detect the IDE drives. Once it detects them, it takes another 2 or 3 minutes before the next screen appears(the plug n play screen, the one after bios but before the windows logo).

I am not overclocking, I have gotten my FSB up to 170 :eek: but put it back at 166 and been running it at stock clock speeds for about a month now. nothing has changed so why its doing it now I dont know.. I have not been inside the case to mess with any of the cables since I built it around March..

I upgraded to BIOS 3.5, and I still get it every now and then, actually, it has only happend twice to me, once last sunday and once just right now.

going into the CMOS(which is as slow as the detection of the drives) and loading the defaults doesnt work.. I had to turn it comepletely off for a couple minutes and reboot and it worked both times.

Specs
XP2700, 512 DUAL DDR400 running at 333, WD 80gigw/the 8meg buffer on ide0, cd plextor burner and reg cdrom on the second. There is no revision number on the MOBO, it just says K7N2G

Any I deas what it is? I hope its not the harddrive. Id rather it be the MOBO so I could return it and hopefully get it replaced with the one that officially supports 400FSB.

Not sure what it might be but I would check for a faulty cable, unplug your drives and try them one at a time.. and your board does support 400mhz duel channel ...

Another thing I noticed is that this only seems to happen after I turn my computer off, let it sit over night and fire it back up the next day.

I know it supports dual ddr400, but i seem to get better performance running it sync with the FSB

might be the battery maybe its weak go buy one there not expensive change that and see if it stops ...Mine runs great at duel channel 400mhz .. you could try to fiddle a little with the ram timings in the bios also might help :)

Another thing might be your harddrive is maybe getting tired you should run a disk diagnostic app on it to see its status :)

I dont think its the harddrive as it has trouble with detecting the two cdrom drives... I dont think it would be the harddrive, since both channels have trouble. I run scandisk once a week, and defrag whenever i install or delete anything and have never gotten any errors.

As for the mem, i have it in dual at 333.. I have the corsair low latency so ill mess some more with it at 400 and see.

I also dont think its the battery because it saves all of my other settings. I havnt had to change them since this started..

I built this setup in feb or march. the only things that are older are the cd rom and the cdburner. I have yet to change the cables but took a look at them and they wernt loose.

*edit*
Has any installed the 3.5 bios yet for this board? Is it safe to say that the temps are correct now? :p Out of the 4 updates I have installed this is the only one that didnt change my temps.

I believe it's your hard drives. I had the same problem with the wd800jb and 1000jb. What did was move the jumpers to cable select. If that does work remove the jumpers completely. By doing this, make your your master drive is on the end, and your slave in the middle of the cable on the channel

Back