• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Reinstalling Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamo

Question about Reinstalling Heatsink & Cleaning CPU

I'm at the point where I need to reinstall my heatsink. My CPU is overheating, even though the temp reader says its only at about 48C, my computer is experiencing massive slowdowns, and tests have proven this is the fault of the overheatsing CPU. I have a SLK-900 with a Smart Fan II running at about medium-high speeds. Either I've got a bum chip, or the heatsink isn't mounted correctly. Ok, so in order to clean my chip, do I HAVE to use some sort of cleaner, or can i just wipe the grease off with a paper towel. Ok, so If i Have to use the cleaner stuffs, where can I get them, and what are they. I saw the arctic silver website with all those scientific names. I dont know what the heck they are. Thanks a lot for the help.

48 C isnt really all THAT hot, my laptop routinely hits 58 and above. What kind of processor are you using? And what are you using to moniter the temp?

Ok, so rubbing alcohol is the cleaner of choice, what most people use then? And, after you apply the rubbing alcohol to get the thermal grease off, should you get the rubbing alcohol off by using water, or just let it dry and apply the thermal grease? Thanks.

I'm using an Athlon 2100+ Thoroughbred revision B. I have an Epox 8rda+ mobo, so I dont think that the die reading temps on that board is good, so I've heard. It's not on die temp reading. So somebody told me that 47 could mean like 60. Thats why I think the heatsink might not be on right, or its a bum chip. I use bios to read my temps, and i use to use this other cpu temp reading program that was giving me the same readings as bios.

Dont use water, rubbing alcohol will evaporate. If anything, use a very clean rag to dry it up. Also, I have a chip that, with a volcano 6, would hit 65c under load. That was NOT on die temp reading. 48c isnt bad, but for that heatsink you could do better. Be sure not to use too much thermal paste either. 1 drop/glop should suffice, as you only want a microthing layer.

So lets say my cpu temp is actually 48, then I would not expect it to be experiencing a slowdown. However, the fact that I am experiencing a slowdown coupled with the fact that the temp reader may not be very accurate, indicates that I may be up to whatever temp you have to be at to experience a slowdown. If you were at 65 and not experiencing a problem, then I might be at 70 or something and not know it. Either that, or my chip can't withstand high temps for some reason.

In that case, just pull off the heat sink, and clean the chip nicely. Use a soft rag and some rubbing alochol. Then reapply the AS3 with the edge of a credit card, covering the entire chip in a THIN layer of AS3. I would stuongly suggest using rubbing alochol to remove the residue of the old thermal grease, and a non static cloth is best to make sure there is no bits of dust. Try going to a music supply store and buying a silver instrument polishing cloth. That's what I use.

Then make sure that you have good contact with the heatsink when you remount it, make sure it's sitting flat and centered.

someone on this board recommended using cellphane wrap for spreading the grease around, and getting a thin layer. That seemed to sound good. Or i'll use a credit card if thats better.

jamo said:
someone on this board recommended using cellphane wrap for spreading the grease around, and getting a thin layer. That seemed to sound good. Or i'll use a credit card if thats better.

Well, using a plasic sandwich bag to spread the thermal grease on the HS is recommended to fill in the microscopic pits. Just wipe it off with a clean rag afterwards, and your HS will be ready to go. I would not suggest using cellophane or plastic to spread the compound on the core. I use a razor blade, myself. Whatever you use, make sure you clean it with ispropophyl alcohol. In regards to letting the alcohol evaporate, it will do so quickly(unless you use so much that it oozes and creates a small pool) so you won't really have to wait for it.

Instructions directly from Arctic Silver:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

OK cool thanks. So you use the rubbing alcohol on the heatsink as well then?

Ok, the rubbing alcohol I got is 70% Isopropyl. I think I heard somebody saying something about using 91% Isopropyl or something. I was just checking that this kinda would be ok to use as well? Thanks for the help all.

i just dab it on with the nozzle of the as3 syringe evenly then wipe the nozzle and put away. and cleaning i use meths.

Back