• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good hsf cooler for athlon xp for it's price

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

What's a quiet, good air-flowing, and considerably small hsf for a athlon xp 1800 that's going to be for some mild overclocking? I may raise the voltage a bit and maybe the fsb even a little more than stock 133.

well if you are not going to go too far past 133FSB and not going to raise the vore voltage past .025 past default voltage...a stock AMD HS will be fine for that...

For low end or general applications i would recommend the Thermalright Sk6+ heatsink and the Sunon/Delta 60 mm maglev fans. they are fairly inexpensive, and sk6+ can be had for $25cdn and the fan for $20. this will give you the ability to overclock some, have a reasonably low noise cooler and one that is space efficiant. the magneticly levitated fan has no bearing meaning it will not wear out. it will also produce less noise as a result of almost zero friction operation. if these fans were available in 80 mm i would get one.

You could also look into the sk7 with pretty much any 80 mm case fan. I am currently running a lapped sk7 with a cold cathode case fan to cool my stock clocked xp 1600+ it handles it with no trouble. It is kinda large though.

That's why i need a compact hsf. The space for the hsf for the cpu is really small. It pretty much only has enough space for th stock hsf it came with.

I'd maybe look into the AX-7 aswell. It's cheap and really good. Anyway you can find 20dba fans that put out 19cfm so that's basically silent.

www.bestbyte.net -Shipping is only $1.

The SK-6+ is supposed to use a 60m/m fan...The fan adapter I suggested from SVC just allows you to run 70m/m TMD fans...SVC also sells fan adapters http://www.svc.com/fanad80to60.html They also sell UV LED fans...Vantec Spectrum's or they have a SVC house brand also...And yes you have to run a fan...;)

Dang i just took a closer look at the pic that SVC lets you see and it seems that i will not have enough space to fit teh cooler into my motherboard. It's a soyo kt333 dragon utlra platinum. Take a look for yourself for the spacing.

http://soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=46

Is there any other cooler worth of being quiet, good air-flowing, and a considerably small hsf for my athlon xp 1800 for some mild overclocking on the market? Thanks.

sup3rcarrx8 said:
Dang i just took a closer look at the pic that SVC lets you see and it seems that i will not have enough space to fit teh cooler into my motherboard. It's a soyo kt333 dragon utlra platinum. Take a look for yourself for the spacing.

http://soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=46

Is there any other cooler worth of being quiet, good air-flowing, and a considerably small hsf for my athlon xp 1800 for some mild overclocking on the market? Thanks.

This HSF might work for you. You may want to measure and see how much room you have for a HS.

You'd need a fan with the SK6+. Although the SK6+ is designed for use with a 60mm fan, I've read in these forums an 80mm fan could be mounted to it. Or, maybe an 80mm to 60mm fan adapter would work for you. Here's one for $2.50.

Last edited:
I've tried using at least two copper HS' and they never booted up for some reason. I forgot to mention that. Even if it's very little copper, the computer won't boot up when i install a copper HS of any kind.

I just installed the Vantec Aeroflow on my 2000+ and have experienced a cpu temp drop from 55 idle to 37 idle. Noise is good and it fits on my board (Asus A7V8X-X) easily.

Back