• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using both an EIDE drive and SATA drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I swapped out the old HDD from my other computer to try to transfer my data to my new PC with the SATA drive and tried every method I know of but the EIDE drive kept taking over as master. The old drive doesn't have all the Nvidia mobo drivers or Silicon Image drivers so it won't boot with this mobo as configured and I just wanted to make it a slave drive, non-bootable. I plan on getting another drive, an EIDE, so I'll have to know sooner or later how to do it. But if anyone did, how did you configure it?

I'm running two eide ata drives, but I am using the SATA raid controller. To do this, I bought 2 ata->sata adapters. They were about $20 a piece, so this may not be your best solution.

I guess the easiest thing to do for now is connect my old PC to my new one and transfer the data that way. But I'm not sure how to do that. I know how to hook them up but what would I have to do in Windows so it would know it has another PC hooked directly up to it?

Assuming you have a network adapter in each PC, all you need to connect them is a crossover cable. You should be able to get a crossover cable at a place like radio shack, or possibly Best Buy or Circuit City. If you have an ethernet switch or hub, then you only need standard straight thru ethernet cables.
As far as settings in windows, it depends on which version(s) of Windows you are running.

Yeah, I have an ethernet cable(RJ45) and an NIC in both PC's, if that's what you mean. I've tried it in Windows using a printer cable, and a direct cable connection. Windows just makes it way too complicated to do it like that, I just didn't have any luck doing it that way. Surely there's some way of using an ATA drive and SATA drive both with this board. Oh well, I'll try it again some other day when I get enough patience or just burn my whole drive to cd.

I can help you set it up so long as you have both computers plugged into an ethernet switch or hub. It's actually pretty easy with any windows OS, I just need to know what OS each pc has installed on it.

I have XP home on both of them. Can I not connect the ethernet cable into each NIC on the PC because I don't have a hub or switch? I don't see why they don't make it any to where you can just plug any kind of com cable (ethernet, LTP, or serial) into your computer and to another and program Windows to know what machine is on the other end of that cable, simple as that. I've read and read and haven't had much luck on how to do it with just 2 pc's and a printer or ethernet cable the easy way. I tried it again last night and Windows would start dialing up thinking I rigged up a local network or something. I don't know who it was trying to dial. I thought I had it set just to connect to the other PC with my printer cable. Sorry if I sound stupid but I'm more of a hardware guy, not too experienced in networking.

You *should* be able to use a parallel cable, but I have not setup a link that way, so I can't help you there. The only way to connect two computers via ethernet without a hub or switch is with a special ethernet crossover cable. It is the same as a standard ethernet cable except that the wires are in a different order within the end plugs. You will have to buy one of these from an computer/electronics store. They are not very expensive. I'm pretty sure Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc carry them.

Okay. I'll go to the local Radio Shack and get one. I found out they're around $8 for the length I need. So when I get it, would I still have to go the same route as making a new network connection in XP?

pretty much. I can help you out in a couple of hours when I get home. Now, go get that cable...:thup:

Dam the luck. I went to Radio Shack here and it was all empty with a "For Rent" sign. Stores just come and go in this little town due to mainly lack of demand I assume. But why'd it have to be Radio Shack:( . But anyways, I got home and done some web research and had an extra ethernet cable laying around so I made my own. I don't guess I'll know if it works or not til I try it. I done it the way the site said but different companies use slightly different color codings on their wires so there's a possibility I might have to change the wiring around if it doesn't work.

chances are, if you get a link light on the back of both ethernet adapters when the cable is plugged in, then you got it right.

Ok, I got my crossover cable made and finally got time to try this. I also got the orange and green lights happening on both NIC cards. And go to modem in Device Manager and it has "communications cable between two computers" and says it's functioning properly so I got the hardware setup right, now I just need some advice on how to get started so the two can transfer data.

Is one of these computers normally connected to the internet via a broadband connection using the ethernet adapter?

Does that broadband connection require a username/password, or any other individualized settings? Or can you just plug it up and then windows connects you to the internet automatically? Normally cable internet behaves this way.

I know I would have to make a new connection I believe, then go to advanced connection, but not sure which one to choose after that. I didn't notice either option having a direct ethernet connection.

Nope, I have my 3com disabled in the BIOS and using the Nvidia port for all my ethernet connections. Should I enable it?

Back