• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AirFlow Through my WC Case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurk

AirFlow Through my WC Case.

I have a couple options before I put this in.

My case is like this:
flow1.jpg

My question is, since I have my Rad bottom right, and 1 120mm fan pushing out, what should the other fans do.

Red Arrows showing Airflow.

This?
flow3.jpg

Making a Vacuum effect... bad idea?

OR This?
flow4.jpg

I have also cut out the front and back case fan areas of the case for better air flow.

backcase1.jpg

(No restriction except the Guard.

2 things
1 are you going to leave the door off
2 if you don't you will not get enough in flow of air
I would suggest that you reverse the fan on your radiator and have all the case fans blowing out

Stedeman said:
2 things
1 are you going to leave the door off
No.

2 if you don't you will not get enough in flow of air
I would suggest that you reverse the fan on your radiator and have all the case fans blowing out [/B]

If I reverse the airflow from the Radiator, I will get all the heat from the rad pouring into the system case, I am trying to get it out as quickly as possible.

If I used the 2 back case fans as Intake, and the front as exhaust, then that would be pretty good airflow, but I am worried about the power supply sucking all the fresh air out.

Yea but if you reverse the 120 on the rad where it's sucks air from the outside instead of from your case you will get a lower temp coming across the rad.

This is what it will do.

Red = Hot Air
Blue = Cool Air
Green = Air Flow

flow5.jpg

There's no real heat in the case because the tubing goes right into the rad (when I hook it up, the heat doesn't go into the air)

flow6.jpg

There is heat coming from you board, vedio, ram, pus, drives, etc etc etc. There is more heat coming from you components in your case then there is outside of of your case.

How much heat dose your ATI Radeon 8500, chip set and RAM kick out ...You would be surprised. And you Rad is not going to dump a ton of heat into your case either the trick to air flow is to get a close match of air in as air out the faster the air moves through the case the cooler your case becomes

So it looks like I have to choose between these:

1) Lower Case temps (Leaving 120mm pushing out front)
2) Lower CPU temps (Reversing 120mm / Cooler air pushing through Rad)

Is this correct to assume?

Stedeman said:
How much heat dose your ATI Radeon 8500, chip set and RAM kick out ...You would be surprised. And you Rad is not going to dump a ton of heat into your case either the trick to air flow is to get a close match of air in as air out the faster the air moves through the case the cooler your case becomes

PS: I'd be more likely to put the rad outside the case before I reverse the fan. =p

It's pretty much hard-wired into that spot / position.

Have the front 120mm fan suck air through the radiator =D Just turn it around

and have the others sucking air out

every red arrow should point towards the back of the computer

with my experience on having rear intake fans on my antec case like that...DON'T DO IT! I accidently turned one fan around on mine when routing my wires better and my temps went up 8*c. Maybe if it isn't close to a wall you will yield better results than me but I would still reverse that 120 and leave the rear as exhaust. Either that or make a couple blowholes. A 120 in the side of the case would probably suffice.

Power supplies generate a lot of heat so using rear fans for intake is usually tricky; some type of baffle plate is best used under the psu to prevent the rear intakes from getting hotter air than is already in the case ;)
There are a few folks around here who do exactly that with very good results.

Here is another option that may be for you: turn the radiator sideways :)
Intake on one side, exhaust on the other: cool air from ouside the case, exhaust does not heat up the case.
Only issue with that is needing additional case intake, but you may be able to get away with passive (no fans) or at least low voltage.

rogerdugans said:

Here is another option that may be for you: turn the radiator sideways :)
Intake on one side, exhaust on the other: cool air from ouside the case, exhaust does not heat up the case.
Only issue with that is needing additional case intake, but you may be able to get away with passive (no fans) or at least low voltage.

That would work, or you could make a duct from/to the side of the case and It is still independant of the rest of the case but you only need to cut 1 hole:D

Or you could keep the Rad fan blowing out and put a fan on the side blowing over the video card and maybe one over your RAM or NB, two stronger ones like that and weaker ones blowing out the back should give enouh airflow.

I'm assuming you don't want to mod any extra holes, no? The way I see it, you are either going to be giving 'hot' air to your radiator, thereby decreasing the cooling it is capable of, or you are giving 'hot' air to your system. Which is more important to you? Cooler system temps or cooler CPU temps? If you have decent system temps already, I'd keep your CPU as the primary focus.

I would *still* suggest pulling in the coolest air from the front and sending it out back. You PSU is already sending a good amount of heat in the back. If you take that hot air and send it straight back through the computer, across the MB and into the rad, you are adding a lot of heat to what is supposed to be your ambient room temperature. And since most people have the back of their cases against a wall, or at least close, the heating will be even worse. You *don't* want all that heat.

*MY* main suggestion would be to cut a blowhole at the top. Heat rises, and you want as much heat to exit as far away from your radiator intake as possible... your best spot for hot, exiting air is at the top and/or through your PSU.

I would have the PSU fan blow out. The two 80mm fans in the back blow in. And the radiator fan blow out. IS that an Antec SOHO File server case?

Thank You,
Daniel

99.5% of the time you want all the air comming in the bottom front of the case, and exiting from the top rear. I don't think your case (pun intended :D) is an exception.

If you have the rear fans blowing in, and your Radiator fan blowing out, then there is going to be a huge dead space near your hard drives, optical drives, and lower PCI slots.

By running the radiator fan into the case, and using the rear fans as exhaust, I think you will get better airflow through the case, and have lower temperatures even if the radiator heats the air up a bit.

I think you are over-dramatizing the impact of your radiator 'heating up your case'. This would simply not be as detrimental as you would think. Much like a regular heatsink blows system air into it doesn't work as well as outside air being blown onto it. I am all for reversing your rad. fan.

In addition, a warmer case will not affect much (except an excessively overclocked video card) . And again, I must reiterate that not as much heat will be leaked into your system as you think. And with three exhaust fans (two+psu fan), you'll be more than ready to go.

-Frank

another option is put that rad on the bottom of the case and drill out a few holes for ventilation and utilize the 2 80's in the front as intake....

Back