• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Ambulance siren sound after NF7s-V.2 Drops out???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markedmundb

Tried OC'ing my 2500 for the first time last night.

Upped volts to 1.75 and ran at 200x10 (after trying x11- W2k wouldn't boot & I only have my Glac on there -- saving pennies for either a SLK 800 or 900(?) & I'd rather not kill my shiny new chip by overvolting/heating it too soon) for a while, then it switched itself off, halfway through the Sandra RAM>Cache test with a noise like the old "nee-nar" two-tone ambulance/police siren coming from the speaker. I'm wondering if it's the thermal cutout?

Although after switching off at my UPS and restarting, the temps in the BIOS were showing below 50 degsC. When It restarted (I dropped the volts to 1.7) I installed & tried to run 3dMark01SE, it fell over before it displayed the splash screen. ("Nee-nar, Nee-nar, Nee-nar" again :¬(} ).

Anyone throw any light onto the problem? A Cure (not Robert Smith's group- they were The Cure) would be useful too.

Do Abit have a list of beep codes anywhere?

Can I ever write a concise first post? :¬)}

Forgot to say, Now I'm running at STOCK SPEED :¬[} & volts again.

Agreed 50C is a little high, that's the reason why I thought it might be the overheat protection nobbling it (set as low as can go 85C in softmenuIII, 75C in PC Health), but then it is Summer, and the ambient temps are up too.

Does it only do this when you run benchmarks or does it do this running other applications? It sounds like to me you are just overheating.

I know all about overheating. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the "nee-nah" beep code was, is all.

<rant mode>Pls, check my stats, & you will see, I ain't a n00b at this OC Game. I was OCing my P75 to 100Mhz when most of you were buying your first playstations. Just cos I don't visit as often as I used to, ppl treat me like some kinda senile old Uncle at Xmas, Jeez. I only want to know if the "nee-nah" beepcode means it's shutdown cos of overheating, OK? </rant mode>

Sorry 'bout that. I feel better now :¬)} .

<edit> btw, it fell over when I weren't running benchies, also. </edit>

I know the sound you are talking about because my board has made that sound too before but I was just trying to help narrow things down for you I wasn't trying to make you seem inferior or something I was just trying to help you out.

markedmundb said:
Forgot to say, Now I'm running at STOCK SPEED :¬[} & volts again.

Agreed 50C is a little high, that's the reason why I thought it might be the overheat protection nobbling it (set as low as can go 85C in softmenuIII, 75C in PC Health), but then it is Summer, and the ambient temps are up too.

out of interest just what are you stock temps?

Its the voltage. The NF7-s did the same thing with my 1700+ from SVC. Any change to the voltage... even at stock... would cause the siren at boot and the computer to shutoff.

So I threw my 2100+ back in... booted it at 1.8v 185x12, and no problems. It seems that some CPU's and NF7 mixed causes this problem. The only way to fix it is to get a different CPU.

I was thinking of trying the 1700+ in my nf7-s again. Just to see if it will do the siren again. But there are a good handfull of people who had/have this problem.

I just got a 2500+ that set the sirens off as well. When I did get it to boot eventually it would reboot and hang. Corrupted my bios as well :mad: Threw my 2100+ back in and everything is fine (at 2.0v vcore.) This was with my prommy too so I don't think it was a heat issue. Needless to say that sucker is on it's way back.

Abit used to have the beep codes on their site but they've pulled them. I think it's only used for their techs to trouble shoot now. You'll have to do some google work and maybe you'll find 'em.

poop_loser said:
I know the sound you are talking about because my board has made that sound too before but I was just trying to help narrow things down for you I wasn't trying to make you seem inferior or something I was just trying to help you out.

Sorry 'bout that, I was having a stressful day at work.

Woody29, current (virtually idle) Temps are (MBM & Winbond agree) CPU: 41C Case 31C.

It did it at stock a coupla times, esp. when playing w/ Poser5. I rechecked my Health bits, CPU warning was 50C, shutdown was 60C. Upped so Warning is 65C and shutdown is 70. Seemed to have cured the problem (at stock anyway).

Will wait til next month, SLK 900 then before attempting to OC again.

Although my volts are a bit on the low side...?

I think I need an Enema X

Not sure if this is gonna help u or not but just now my board had the siren of your going in mine when i boot up. Once i am in the window i turn on the winbond hardware doctor and the siren stoped. I dont know why but it worked.......
My board is v2.0 with bio1.4

hope this help abit

Why is 50 degrees high?

I live in the tropics where my ambient temps are always in the region of 30 - 34 degrees C. Have been o/c'ing since the Celly 300A.

My athlon systems always ran at around 48 - 50 degrees C at idle, and 54 degrees C under load. Once, during a heatwave, I was running at about 59 degrees C, and my pc was still rock stable.

I just put an 2200XP into my old KT7A mobo, and I currently have it at 2.0 Ghz, Vcore at 1.85...and my idle temps are 45 degrees, 49 degrees under load. This is the coolest chip I have ever handled. Needless to say, I will probably not reach what some others are doing at 2.3 Ghz, but, considering my ambient temps, I'm happy.... :)

Now...if only they made an SLK for me..... :D

Well I have since bought a new 1700+ DLT3C from SVC. I sold my other one along with my old mobo to a buddy. But my new chip works fine... no siren sounds no issues overclocking, and i can change the voltage. However any voltage above 1.85 and the computer just wont post or beep. Ive heard the these 1700+'s with 1.5v dont like really high voltage... and thats ok... I wasnt planning on running it at 1.95 all the time or anything. So far though the sucker is stable at 2.44 @ 1.85v, and the mobo undervolts by about .03 so its actually says 1.81v. Anyway, I think some CPU's just have issues with the NF7 when the voltage is changed. Heck even at stock speeds.. if I upped the voltage .05 the sucker would at some point shutdown with the siren. But just overclocking at stock voltage... wasnt a problem.

I Played with Voltages a wee bit, set Core so MBM shows 1.63- 1.65 (1.675v in BIOS) instead of 1.60-1.63 at 1.65. Also lowered chipset volts to 1.5 (in case the northbridge is getting a liitle bit too warm. 1u Copper server 'sink on it, methinks, when swapping to new case when I can afford it...

Been running quite sweet at 200x9 (1800) @42C. Playing w/ Poser all afternoon & Vice city all evening.

Is the undervolting problem a mobo or PSU problem? I'd like to know if forking out £100 for an EnemaX will solve my undervolting problems.

Originally posted by Defcon1
Now...if only they made an SLK for me..... :D
Defcon, if they made an SLK for tropical use, I reckon you'd need a 16" floor fan to cool it :¬)}

Last edited:
Marked....I meant for ME...as in Moi..... :)

...my pc's running just sweet...but I'm sweating bullets here...

...running around with a 16" floor fan on my back is NOT an option... ;)

don't know if it has been said, or if you did it already

but

did you update the bios

I could not get past 2100 with a slk900 and it said my temps were 44 at idle!!!!!!!! (NF7-S Rev. 2)

and I would get the siren if I tried higher

updated bios

running 2420 happily and temps are around 34 at idle

old bios is unstable and gives false temps

John

hey...do anyone else vcore jump up and down from time to time by about 0.02 and when under stress like running prime it can sometimes drop down by 0.04.i'm just wondering if thats a psu problem or NF7-S ?
and if i up my vcore to 1.85 in the bios i get the siren treatment but 1.825 is fine.

I'm in the process of ironing the bug out of my new system with NF7 ver2 and 1700. I had the vcore set at 1.9 trying to sqeeze a little more out of the CPU. It didn't work and the system rebooted running prime 95. When I rest the Vcore to a lowersetting, I got the old siren. I had to shutdown and reset the BIOS to defaults with the jumper to get it to stop. This is my first overclock with an AMD system, so I don't have any solution, I just wanted to add my experience to the data pool.

My NF7-s seems to undervolt also. MBM5 always reads .03 volts lower than I have it set... and when priming the vcore drops another .04, so all together if I have it set at 1.8 at idle it says 1.77, and load it says 1.73. and im using a 400watt Sparkle. My old mobo used to overvolt so I think its the NF7 thats undervolting... not all our PSUs.

Back