• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan on SLK-800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Thermaltake Smart Fan II was highly recommended to me for this HS. I just picked one up this morning and plan on installing it tonight.

Since noise is an issue I would suggest the Tt SF II since you can manually adjust it. I'm pretty sure that it has one of the best noise to CFM ratios out there. At 1/2 speed approx 3000RPM and approx 47cfm and around 33db it is virtually silent in my case.
Then if you want you can kick it up when say the temp in the room gets high or whatever. Or even lower it if there was a need.

Believe it or not I think the Tornado has just as good of a Noise/CFM ratio but you would need to add a manual adjustment to it to lower it down.

IMHO there are only really 2 (80mm)fans to consider out there. Either the Tornado or the Tt Smartfan II. If you either have a fan controler already or don't care about noise levels go with the Tornado. If you do care about noise then you go with the SF II. Why because if you do the math you can turn down the SF to db levels of other fans like the panaflow and the SFII will be pumping more CFMat those db levels. Then if you have a need you can pump it up to levels almost as high as the Tornado(and it will still be quieter than the Tornado).

epauls said:
Since noise is an issue I would suggest the Tt SF II since you can manually adjust it. I'm pretty sure that it has one of the best noise to CFM ratios out there. At 1/2 speed approx 3000RPM and approx 47cfm and around 33db it is virtually silent in my case.
Then if you want you can kick it up when say the temp in the room gets high or whatever. Or even lower it if there was a need.

Believe it or not I think the Tornado has just as good of a Noise/CFM ratio but you would need to add a manual adjustment to it to lower it down.

IMHO there are only really 2 (80mm)fans to consider out there. Either the Tornado or the Tt Smartfan II. If you either have a fan controler already or don't care about noise levels go with the Tornado. If you do care about noise then you go with the SF II. Why because if you do the math you can turn down the SF to db levels of other fans like the panaflow and the SFII will be pumping more CFMat those db levels. Then if you have a need you can pump it up to levels almost as high as the Tornado(and it will still be quieter than the Tornado).

I have a fanbus, and own both a Tornado and Smart Fan II fan. I would personally recommend the TT Smart Fan II over the Tornado because, even when lowering the RPM with a rheobus on the Tornado, it makes a kind of whirring sound, which gets pretty annoying. Other than this flaw in the Tornado, they are both good choices.

the whole point of the tornado is the power. it's for people who want the cooling. I personally don't care about the noise, so i'd say get a 92mm attachment and get the 92mm tornado. much more powerful. but if noise is an issue use the smartfan.

I would suggest the Smart Fan 2 also, that way you can turn it up and down to suit the noise level tha suits you. Also you can have a going fast to keep you cool in summer and then in winter turn it right down for silence.

:)

I'm getting a 92mm Tornado & SLK900U just for the high-end air cooling. I'll slow it down when I'm not pushing the O/C but I'm not expecting it to be real quiet either. The 80mm Tornado ain't too shabby or quiet either.

Last edited:
I did some more research and compaired the Tornado and the Smart Fan and the VANTEC Stealth that i was looking at earlyer. Form the information that I garthered The Smart fan is way better than the Stealth becouse in moves more and at a lower dba and it also can be adjusted to move alot more cfm. The Smart fan is also better for me over the Tornado becouse if the Tornado is turned down in RMP it makes a whirring sound. So I have decided to go with the TT smart Fan II. Thank you everybody for your help.
Chris

Audioaficionado said:
I'm getting a 92mm Tornado & SLK900U just for the high-end air cooling. I'll slow it down when I'm not pushing the O/C but I'm not expecting it to be real quiet either. The 80mm Tornado ain't too shabby or quiet either.

I think this is THE most powerful heatsink and fan combo for air cooling right now. Our graph on the front page of overclockers.com confirms this as well. When you put the Tornado on top of the SLK900, you do not need to worry about cooling ever. All you need to worry about is the noise.

If you can't handle the noise, I would say go with a TT Smart Fan 2. I have 4 of these for case cooling and I love them.

Snipester said:
IS there a 92mm version of the Smart fan II ??

I would get that instead....

Sadly, I do not believe that there is a 92mm version of the Smart Fan II. :(

Back