• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

north bridge cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nohoy

ok so i figure this could go in my motherboard section as well, but its not fully specific to my motherboard and i figure it will get a lot more exposure here, so anyways...

i have a epox 8k3a+ and i used to have a palomino 1800+ and could get that to run any where up to 147 fsb, but then at 148 or so it just didnt work... so i took my losses and just figured that it was my processor since i didnt get too good a stepping (kind of a dumb way to do it) but then i just got a 1700+ tbred which is just beautiful, the best part about it is that its factory unlocked (i had actually set aside my evening the day i was getting it to unlock it) and so i then went through and tryed all the multiplier settings and see what i could do, well i hit 1.85 at default voltage but the thing is that that is only up to 147 fsb. now then i put my hand on my northbridge passive cooler and found out its quite hot (huh who would have ever dreamed) and so then my questions...

can i go to my local computer store and buy an active cooler very similar to this one here and then have it work better and then still have the ability to sit back with no worries of it not being good enough

Well, if you want another idea, you could mount the stock AMD HSF on the GPU. Use an adhesive or thermal pads. I have seen this done and I can't remember where the thread is.

Just thought I would throw out another idea....

Doesn't sound like heat is the problem. What BIOS are you using? If you're using the one that came with the motherboard, then that's your problem. Download the new BIOS from the Epox website.

i got a question of the north bridge cooler, i finally got my iceburg chipset cooler, i got the Ep-8RDA, and the stock heatsink on the mobo, is mad hard to take out, how the heck do u take it out, i do not want to brake it, any ideas?

Back