• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange hsf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rugbyroy

Has anybody seen these? Linky Looks different, anybody know how it cools? Looks like the fan doesn't have much "sucking" power, but ya never know maybe it doesn't need it or something

Yeah it definetly doesn't look like the ideal heatsink, especially with the cfm level.

I'd like to see some benchmark's on it though.

I've seen and work on larger versions of those fans. Ones that are as big as regular room fans. They blow really steady stream of air consistanly. As in, a shroud is not needed to make sure the center gets air flow. However, i've never seen them to blow as much air as a regular fan and if you look at the cfm for these, it's only like 10 - 20..that doesn't seem like much. They look cool as hell but i would opt for bigger airflow if possible. that's just me.

I wonder if theres a way to buy a fan with a whole heap more cfm for one of these, or maybe somehow attach it to a slk800 or 900.

hmm.. that is strange looking, for a fan/heatsink setup. those types of fans probally need more power for the same amount of cfm a regular fan would put out (it seems, or else we would just use those and nothing else). either you could run it at 24v and burn it up :p in no time or idunno what else. depends on its motor i guess.

I've been googling up some info on these types of fans. Apparantly the regular fans that we all use draw more air from the center of the fan, and these blower fans supposedly pull air from the entire 80X80mm surface, not just a small 20X20mm patch in the middle (like the ones we use now apparantly). I'm not sure how much truth is in this, because the info I got is probably produced by a company who makes such fans. Either way I think that if one of these blowers could have larger fins, and run at a higher rpm they might be worth trying. As is I'm curious to test one out. Maybe when I get some mulah I'll get one.

I just realized that these are just like mini turbine engines, like the ones used on Jumbo Jets! If they would work the way the jet turbines work they could possibly be far better than the fans we are all using. Notice that the faster planes today use the turbine, and not a regular propeller.

yeah, you're right! I guess if you do get a larger version of this fan that can do more rpms it might be better. go e-mail vantec and tell them to make a tornado version of this fan :D

They're also called "squirrel cages". This cooler has been under the scruitiny of numerous posts... Search should get you lots of results.

Here's a review.

I also found the Dynatron Crossflow Blower. It's a case fan that is designed much like the aero, but it's a lot longer. It might be a good hard drive cooler
linky

Back