• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chris2980

I just recently got a koolance case. But my cpu's temp is at 52ºC. The temperature reading on the LED is 31º. Does anyone know why this could be so high. I have made sure that the water block isnt on there at an angle.

motherboard is K7N2G and the 52º was in the bios. I dont know if theres a problem with the water cooling or if I didnt put enough thermal paste or put too much.

Do you have the newest BIOS? Check the AMD-MB/MSI forums... LOTS of complaints about the K7N2G board's default temp sensor. Grab the newest bios and watch your temps plummet ^_^. It's a great board btw... no complaints since the new BIOS.

Yeah it is... so your temps are probably *more* accurate than I was thinking =p. *Shrug*
I always prefer the temps of the external sensors to the BIOS readings... try to OC your CPU and see what the LED starts saying... the Koolance case is a pretty good watercooler-kit, so you really *should* be at the temps that it is saying.

i oced some and now the led is saying 33 and the bios is saying 54. I know what if i water cool and everything is fine it shouldnt be at 50º. When i put on thermal paste do i put it all over the cpu or just on that silver part?

Only apply the thermal paste to the "silver part" (core). The koolance external LED temps should be more accurate than those of the motherboard... You might consider adding some quiet fans if you'd like to get even cooler?

Also, you may want to consult Arctic Silver's instructions on applying thermal paste (doesn't matter what kind of paste you use when using these instructions). Link Here.

I would take the waterblock off, clean all of the arctic silver off, then reapply it using the instructions provided by Arctic Silver. Also make sure that there aren't any kinks in the hose anywhere. Did you make sure that the radiator fans are spinning up right? (and the pump).
If everything seems to be right, then I would think that your BIOS temperature sensor is out of wack :(

well in the resivoir the water seems to be moving but doesnt seem to be in the tubes.

Hey, your temps are totally off chris. The k7n2g has totally wacked out temp readings. People have discussed this in the msi motherboard section and people assume that it comes from the core. I have a different opinion, and i guess that it uses some sort of algorithm to determin temps. Right now i'm on a dlt3c running at stock. My temp sensor says its 41C (very hot night), while the mb reports it at 27C. Totally different figures. The temperature that it gives you seems to be based off the core value you give it. But anyways, trust your instinct. You have 2 values to get your temperature from. Add them up and divide by two. It wont be on target, but oh well, you have a temperature to base your ocing on.

Chris,

I used to have a Koolance system as well (I don't anymore so I should update my sig) so I could tell you a couple things:

1- There will always a be a big difference between the BIOS readings and the reading on the LCD panel of the Koolance unit merely because the sensor for the Koolance unit is attached to the bottom side of the block. As a result, the temps showing up on the LCD panel of the Koolance unit is pretty much the water temps (well it's the block's temps but most people call this the water temp).

When I was using Koolance, I was in the same situation. If my Koolance panel showed 30C, then my mobo sensor was reading about 50C. Then again, I have an IT7 mobo which is known to display higher than normal temps.

2- It's OK if you can't see the water moving through the tubes. If there is movement in the reservoir, things are probably good. Otherwise, I am sure that you would get worse temps than 50C.
If you can see the water move through the tubes, then this means that there is some air circulating in the tubes which is not a good thing. :)

Back