• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/5 mutiplier for GA-7VAXP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzureBOB7

Registered
I saw a article somewhere on unlocking a 1/5 multiplier for AGP and PCI speeds. But, I can't remember where. My mobo rev is1.2.
I remember it involved soldering a wire to connect a missing dip switch on the board. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If you look at SW1 on the mobo you will see 4 solder dots at the side of it. What you need to do is join the 2 that are closest to SW1 with paint, solder, wire or anything else thats a good conductor. I think I have some pics that I sent to someone else, if I find them I will post a link.
Hood

Thanks hood I noticed you know your stuff on the GA-7VAXP. That's just what I was looking for. How do you like your Abit?Is it worth upgading to? Also by unlocking the 1/5 do I have to run higher fsb's?

The ABIT is the dogs bo**ocks. Its really only worth upgrading if you want to do some good OCing, then the DDR will have to be up to it also.
As for increasing the FSB, yes thats the reason you do that mod, so that the PCI/AGP is back in spec when the FSB is so high. Im not sure if you can set the FSB lower than 166 in the BIOS when the dips are set to 166, but even if you could there is no point as you would be underclocking the PCI and AGP.
Hood

Also remember you will probably have to drop the multi down a bit, will depend on your CPU how much. BTW what CPU do you have and is it a Pally, T/Bred A or T/Bred B.
Hood

more multi questions

Hey Hood i saw your opinon so wanna know is it ok for me to keep the multi 13 and rais ehte fsb? My cpu is xp2000+ and it's default is 12.5 and memory is pc2100 (if it really good to know) so after soldering the two connecters can i raise the fb without rasong the agp and pci? wow i never tried something out like that before. in the pics you've shown the 7vaxp ultra sw1 pic you say but with my 7vaxp it's the same way my mobo rev is 1.2 so i don't think it'll be a big issue isn't it?

Bubble
Your DDR may be your problem when doing this, but possibly you could keep your DDR at 266 in the BIOS. The only problem with doing that would be that your CPU/DDR would be out of sync and you wouldnt see the full benefit of increasing the FSB.
Your 2000+ may run at 13x 166 but that will depend on the core(Pally, T/Bred A or B) I would suggest that you drop the multi to 10.5x then get the FSB to 166 and see how it goes, if its OK then you can try setting the multis up one step at a time.
As I said your PC2100 is your main obstacle so if you can try and get some PC2700 or faster, then you will see the benefits as you will be running sync.

AzureBOB7
Expect to get around 1800MHz from the pally, you may get more but that will depend on the stepping and the max really you could hope for is around 2 Gig.

Hood

thanks hood. I'll have to unlock the proc and try to solder the points. In the end I think I may just get a Barton core. But, oh well that wouldn't be as fun.

The ones to get at the moment seem to be the 1700 or 1800 JIUHB DLT3C T/Breds, they are getting 2.5Gig with the right hardware. One place in the UK is actually testing and guaranteeing that they will run at 2500MHz(12.5x [email protected]) Obviously the 200MHz FSB would be out for your mobo but with it being the Rev 1.2 you have he multis to get the CPU MHz up. The Bartons are doing OK but I will wait for the cores to refine a bit before I go down that road.
Hood

BTW you can just use conductive paint to join the solder dots, and you may find it easier to do it on the reverse of the mobo if you decide to solder. Another option I have seen is to glue metal foil accross the solder. Obviously you would have to hold it down tight with a needle or somthing until the glue set so that the glue didnt seep under the foil and insulate from the solder.

One more question; do you think I will have any problems with my memory? Right now I can get the fsb up to about 145mhz@ 11x.
That's a locked proc and no other mods. I believe my memory is holding me back because it cheap(i.e. generic) and my temps are
around 40c. I am runnning2 256xpc2700.

If you can run 145 then your memory should be running 2x(FSB+PCI)=360MHz. When you activate the 1/5 by setting the FSBto 166 by the mod then your DDR will be running 2xFSB, so at 166 it will be back to 333MHz and going by the same limit you have now then you should be able to get the FSB to 181MHz.
It may even be your CPU that is crapping out, if your stepping isnt that good you may have to increase the VCore a fair bit to get as much as 1800MHz. Just watch the temps dont get too much when increasing the VCore though.
Hood

Well I'am out I got to try this mod. I just noticed you've got a 225
fsb. Kick ***. Any way thank you for your expertise. If I see you I'll let you know if I got it all to work. Peace out.
AzureBOB7

Just thought I'd add a suggestion to anyone that wants to do this mod. I have a GA-7VAX-A board and I had to do the same thing to access the 166fsb. What I did was to de-solder the sw1 switch and re-solder it back in the second position. What this does is give you a 133/166 fsb switch. Off = 133 and On = 166. It's quite simple and it took longer for the soldering iron to warm up than it did to actually move the switch over.

Back