• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

artic silver 3 question - rookie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

so when i'm putting artic silver 3 on the cpu, i'm supposed to put some on the bottom of the Zalman 7000cu too right and then wipe it off leaving some to fill in the little valley's in the heatsink right? its a 2.4C and Zalman 7000cu

thanks

The idea is to get a paper thin coat covering the entire area where the cpu makes contact with the heatsink. Doesn't matter a whole lot whether you apply it to the cpu or the base of the heatsink - whatever works for you. Sometimes I find it easier to spread the compound on the heatsink instead of the cpu - a credit card works well for smoothing out and even coat.

TC said:
The idea is to get a paper thin coat covering the entire area where the cpu makes contact with the heatsink. Doesn't matter a whole lot whether you apply it to the cpu or the base of the heatsink - whatever works for you. Sometimes I find it easier to spread the compound on the heatsink instead of the cpu - a credit card works well for smoothing out and even coat.

Yes, paper thin is the key. If it is too thick it can act somewhat as an insulator. Also, school passes work well when spreading the as3 ;) .

I pretty much followed the instructions on the AS website. Off the top of my head:

1. Clean all surfaces.
2. Apply a small bit to the HS.
3. Take from that small bit on the HS and apply it to the CPU core.
4. Spread a very thin layer of AS on the CPU core.
5. With the remaining AS3 on the HS, spread that in a circular motion on the HS where it'll contact the core.
6. Wipe off the AS3 on the HS such that it leaves only a "stain" of where it was previously.
7. Carefully mount the HS trying to avoid as much lateral movement as possible.

The instructions on the AS page are pretty good if you need more specific information. They also have some pictures to give you a visual picture of everything.

Back