• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adhesive on bottom of hsf...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banyan

pulled off the protective plastic and it left behind a ton of adhesive which wont come off... anyone have a good quick method to get it off?

thx guys... tried alcohol but will try again... then it's off to the store for either goof off or contact cleaner. this hsf must have been sitting on a shelf for a while... never had this happen.

There is a spray you can buy at most electronics stores (like Fry's) called 'contact cleaner'. It's used to clean off sticky crap off chips and such. Completely non-conductive, and it works great for getting heatsink gunk off of chips / heatsinks.

vonkaar said:
holy crap, I apparently suck at the internet

LOL, just in case you didn't know, you have the ability to delete and edit your posts here so no need to worry AS LONG AS YOU CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF :D

The edit button is at the bottom right corner of every post and once you click on it, I think you get the delete option at the edit screen.

Banyan,

For adhesive removal, you could also try nail polish remover.

i usually use an old credit card to scrape the gunks out
with some alcohol on a lint free rag
goof off should work too then use alchol after

vonkaar said:
holy crap, I apparently suck at the internet
if youre talking about the double post just click on edit and delete the post...

schismspeak said:
Are you sure it wasnt a thermal pad?

positive... it's the protective adhesive plastic they put on it so the bottom doesn't get scratched up, there was no thermal pad on it.

i didn't think of nail polish remover but will try it. too lazy and tired to go to the store atm ;). but these f'ing fan clips will just be another problem.

btw- thanx for all the ideas etc.

vonkaar - :D

nail polish did it... no need to run to the store :D. that stuff seemed to have been baked on there.

Back