• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk-800u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i just got my heatsink today i just want to know if i should lap it or not it looks pretty good on the bottom

anyone has the same HS is it worth it?

if you have a straight edge...put it on the HS, shine a flashlight on the other side of it and if you don't see any light between the straight edge and HS...then I wouldn't worry about lapping it...

And the A and U both perform the same...just the U can be mounted to the MB instead of clipped on like the A...

I hear lapping those wouldnt really give you much of a benifit, but thats what I hear. I say try it, and it the temps are good, keep it, but if you think the temps could be a little better, then lap it.

login211 said:
might aswell lap it now since you're going to be wondering if you would have had better temps had you lapped it :p

why...if it is already flat...lapping could actually do more damage...especially if you don't do the lap right...if you do what I posted above...takes about a great big 30 seconds or so to find out...then you won't have any doubts about it...and if it is slightly warped...then lap away...

well my 800a seemed very flat and smooth so initially i just installed it but a few days later i said what the heck, i'll lap it and see what happens, my core/die temp dropped 2C and this was my first time lapping

login211 said:
well my 800a seemed very flat and smooth so initially i just installed it but a few days later i said what the heck, i'll lap it and see what happens, my core/die temp dropped 2C and this was my first time lapping

did you try the trcik that I posted above to make sure it was flat...a HS can look flat without it actually being flat...I lways do that trick just for that simple reason...it may look flat but there still may be a hairline warp in it...which is possible in your case...

i guess that could have been a posiblity if i had used a grit lower than 1500

since this was my first time i just wasn't sure what to get, i got 1500 and 2000, took me along time to lap my heatsink since both those grits are sooooo smooth, i should have started off with 800 or something...

all my lapping did was polish it up and nothing more...

Wolfeinstein who's david and what do you get with the kit? link?

login211 said:
all my lapping did was polish it up and nothing more...

even if it just "polished" it...you still could of taken the small warp out of it...which is why you lap a CPU...polishing still takes some of the copper away...and yes, it is always best to start out with 800 or less then work your way up...but I am sure your arm will remind you the next time you have to lap one ;)

I lapped my SLK-900u and it worked wonders.

I only went up to 600 grit though, people on the forums were saying that if it were too smooth that there'd be too little surface area, and the AS3 wouldn't work as well.

Lapping made my temps better by 2C.

glock19!

yes i checked it and it looks real flat im sure lapping would lower it 1-2 degrees but i don't know if it is worth it? maybe since i got a 1700 tbred B and smart fan 2 also so maybe that 2 degree would help me oc a lill higher.

if you checked it with a straight edge, then I wouldn't do a full lap...do like login did and just more or less do a polish too it...and also like Strida stated...don't make it too shinny (smooth) or it will have the oposite effect...

It is possible...think it was either here on the front page or VR Zone that had the article about when you get that super mirror like finish that actually hurts the heat transfer...will look for it later...

My AMD stock hs has a line in it which is raised from the rest of the HS. It looks like it was meant to be like this. Would lapping it and taking this off make a difference?

yes, lapping should help it...you want a flush fitting on the die...and if it has any type of ridges on it...it will not seat completely flush on the CPU die...

glock19owner said:
It is possible...think it was either here on the front page or VR Zone that had the article about when you get that super mirror like finish that actually hurts the heat transfer...will look for it later...

well if you look the instructions by date(lapping kit seller http://www.extensiontech.net/reviews/cooling/hsf/lapping/ ) the highest grit he gives you is 2000 and then he also has the 10000 grit compound to give teh heatsink a mirror finish

just look at this pic
21.jpg

Back