• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another very tragic tale...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazr

Registered
Okay, my roommates XP 1700+ broke. I'm guessing it over heated, because it is only using the crappy heatsink + fan that came with it. So we are going to Fry's where I was going to buy an SLK-800 and a Smart fan II, but the Fry's near me didn't even carry them, and the represenitive didn't even know what I was talking about. :D

So now my question is where are the cheapest places online to buy an SLK-800 heatsink, Smartfan II, and arctic silver thermal grease?

Thanks!

Well, SVC has the SLK-800 for $34, but I don't think they carry the Smartfan II. Newegg has the SLK-800 for $38, the Smartfan II for $12, and a 3.3g tube of Arctic Silver III for $6, all for a total of $56.
There may be places with the stuff for cheaper, but newegg is nice and reliable :)

This is what I found so far:

1- Newegg: SLK-800U: $42.99.
Smart fan II standard: $11.99.
Smart fan II with the LED mod $13.99.

2- SideWinder Computers: SLK-800U: $34.95
Smart fan II standard: $12.95

3- HeatsinkFactory: SLK-800U: $34.99
Smart fan II standard: $13.99
Smart fan II with the LED mod: $15.99

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you buy both the fan and the heatsink from a single store, you will have to pay less shipping.

While you might get better prices than the ones I found from different stores, these stores might not have both the SLK800-U and the SmartFan II so you might end up paying more because of having to pay shipping for 2 stores. I bought a bunch of stuff from all 3 stores I listed above and consider them all reliable.

Oh, BTW, if you were willing to pay $10 more, you could get the SLK900 which is really a much better heatsink than the SLK800-U IMO. Just a thought... ;)

Last edited:
900u is the newer heatsink.... 900u is 1C cooler that the 800u given that both heatsinks are using the same fan and are installed PERFECTLY

I am not really concerned with 1º C ;). Thanks you guys, I am really touched by all the help.

Snipester said:
Whats the diff between 800u and 900u?

Basically, the 900 is a bigger heatsink than the 800 and allows you to mount a 92mm fan.

A bigger heatsink is almost always better than a smaller one all other things being equal and I think the SLK900 is one big heatsink! :)

EDIT: Oh, btw Joe had reviewed the SLK900 for us a while ago. You can read it here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles698/

I just bought a SLK-800u and a Smart fan II from bestbyte prices were good I thought, $34 for the SLK and $8 for the smart fan II and the shipping price is nice only $5 flat ground rate. Not sure about the AS3 but $47 is a pretty good deal on the fan and heatsink.

Hey, why is everyone suggesting AS3? We have no idea how well he applies thermal grease. I suggest that kazr buy a stick of ceramique. Unless someone has found out that ceramique is no good, why not go with it? Non conductive, very easy to apply. Hey, i suggest you buy ceramique instead.

AS3's the best on the market. People are suggesting it to him because it's damn good. kazr, listen to the masses, go with AS3.

AS3 is the best.

but yeah the point is the AS3 is very good. It's not like we're gonna get his HS to blow up if he uses it.

In reviews and from experience, I have not seen more than a 1C [either way] difference between AS3 and Ceramique in air cooling. I prefer Ceramique because it is cheaper and easier to clean up. The only advantage that I care about that AS3 has is that it is easier to spread evenly.

You can get the small tube of Ceramique from bestbyte for $3.25 free s&h.
CLICK ME!

The real advantage of the slk-900-U over the slk-800-u is SILENCE! It can take a bigger fan, and bigger fans put out more airflow at lower noise levels.

Back