• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chieftec Matrix Full tower cooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwishBish33

Registered
I keep flip-flopping between getting the full tower version of the Chieftec Matrix or the "regular" size that does not have the 92mm exhaust above the PSU spot. But something occurred to me, and I need opinions. Would it be a good idea to have the 5 80mm case fans (2 back, 2 front, 1 side) all blowing cool air in, and then put a 92mm or 120mm fan at the top pulling the warm air up to the top part of the case where the 92mm exhaust fan would suck it out the back along with the PSU fan. Any thoughts on this config? I've read other threads where having all the case fans blow in and then exhausting it through a blowhole at the top lowered temps and provided better cooling. I'm open to suggestions. THANKS.

I sounds nice but I don't think it would work as well. If you only have the 80mm in the PSU and the 90mm above it, you will have to much incoming air and end up with more static air someplace.

That 90mm is for the dead air that gets trapped up there. A good idea if you get the FULL TOWER is to get a 5" drive bay fan set. This will help keep the air flowing and unless you need multiple burners, you can afford to loose the bay for fans.
I have the full tower and love it over the normal one that my friend got and tried to talk me into.

Enjoy whatever one you get, the air flow in both cases is very good with all fans in place.

Creative but I don't think it would work as well. You should just have the setup with the 2 80mm's in the front as intake. And the the one on the side as intake. And the 2 80mm's in the back as exhaust and the 92mm as exhaust.

Thank You,
Daniel

Thanks Vtech and Daniel. Vtech, is there any advantage to getting the full tower Matrix over the mid-tower Matrix other than the extra 5.25 drive bays? I have a DVD-ROM, a CD-RW, and a rheobus that I will be installing in it, is the full tower justifiable?
Is the airflow that much improved? Thanks.

The thing I like abotu the full was the fans on the hdd cages. The regular has one on the bottom one with a fan in it but if you put a radiator on it you take that one out. The full tower has a fan in the higher cage as well as the lower so it will hold a rad and still have a fan blowing on the hdd's. That's what I saw from comparing the two.

There are 3 fan holders on the front of the Full tower and only 2 on the Mid Tower. Also I like having the extra room since 14 bays is a lot bigger than 12 for some reason??

Also you should note that one or two of the motherboard screws take a little friendly talking to before you get them in since the back doesn't slide out. But the room makes it doable.

If you got water cooling you should get the full tower for the reasons stated by Wannaoc.

Enjoy bud.

Back