• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Question! Cant boot up!! Oh no!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baptizer

Hello All!
Well, I just got done putting together the new pc and I have a problem: The PC will not boot! All it does it beep(beeps about every 5 seconds)! What exactly is the problem? I am not getting any video at all! Here are my specs:

NF7-S Version 2 Mobo
2x512mb Buffalo PC3200
Geforce 3 64mb
AMD +1700XP Chip

Any help would be great...i am lost! Please help!

Hello guys..just an update:
I narrowed the problem down to the ram. I have it seated in DIMM slot 1 and 3. When I take the one on DIMM 3 out, it boots up. Is there a jumper setting I need to set to have dual ddr?

constant beep indicates no ram i believe, if i remember right. something is screwy,... id suspect the board. play around with it, switch things up a few times.

Hello!
I have put both RAM Chips in slot one and my pc boots up fine. I am assuming it has something to do with having both my ram sticks in :(

EDIT: it boots up fine with the ram in DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 at the same time

The manual says to place two sticks of memory into slots 3 and 2... "When installing two PC3200 DDR SDRAM modules, we suggest you install the two DDR SDRAM modules into DIMM3 and DIMM2"

Hope that helps...

Edit: So it's working ok now?

Edit2: Doh... I keep posting at the same time as you guys.

-- Dave

okay now try puttin em in slots 2 and 3, one at a time. see how it goes. i swear sometimes you just gotta fiddle around with new stuff till everything "works"

Woohoo!
Thanks guys! Just like you guys said, play around and it will work! I just switched them around a few times and now I got both sticks running on DIMM 2 and DIMM3 ! Thanks!

Can someone recommend which RAM settings I should change and what I should change them too?

Thanks for the help!
Strange thing:
When i raise my FSB to around 170...it boots into windows fine and runs smooth. However, if I shut my PC down and reboot it, I get that BEEPING noise again. Upon clearing CMOS, i can boot up again. Should I change the cpu volt with such a small change? Any recommendations as to what I should keep an eye out for or what might be causing this?

I'm not a real expert on this (just got my NF7-S about a month ago) but I had to raise my memory voltage from 2.6V to 2.8V to get above 200 FSB. Also had to raise VCORE to 1.725V. Like I said though, I'm new to overclocking. I've mostly just been fiddling around and experimenting. I think that's the best way to learn... little steps at a time. A quick search of the forums may give you some more info on your situation too.

Good luck!

-- Dave

kinda off topic..... but does the manual list any of the postcodes and what they mean? i couldn't find it.

it could also mean your heatsink is not seated properly, check your temps to make sure.

Hey guys!
Well, I re-set the heatsink and raised the voltage as you guys suggested...the problem is gone! *fingers crossed...knock on wood*

The temps seem a bit wierd though. Even at default speed, bios is reporting that the cpu was around 36degrees. However, it was reporting that the case temp was 20degrees. My previous computer had watercooling, so I am a bit unfamiliar as to what my temps should be. What should I expect in terms of cpu temps?

Again, thanks for the help. You guys always seem to answer my questions very quickly which is good! I get stressed out easy!!

Back