• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mlbarse153

Registered
I have a SY-K7V Dragon+ MB with AMD XP2100 chip. I have tried to add more than one piece of memory on the board, but when I do the system is very unstable under XP Home and normally gives errors or completely reboots. With only one piece I have no problems running XP Home and apps. I'm using Crucial PC2100 512MB memory that's recommended by Crucial for this MB. I have also flashed my BIOS to the latest on Soyo's site. I bought both pieces from Crucial at the same time for a match. Any ideas why the crashing with more than 1 stick?

funny... my board is the K7ADA V1.0 and i have a 1.2 duron and with 512, it boots perfect and runs fine. then i add in a 128mb stick in slot 3 and it boots and hangs at windows. i havent updated bios yet, but i used to run 384 with a 256 & the 128 mentioned. I got the 256 stick recently and then had all 3 sticks and it boots perfect and hangs at windows, it shows 98 loading thingy and then command thing with a cursor like this "_" blinkin, forever. Then i take out the 128 and vroom boots perfect. So whats the issue with SOYO and ram. Im using PC2100 DDR...

Here is what the soyo site says about the Dragon + board on memory.
SY-K7V DRAGON Plus!

Memory Type
DDR SDRAM
Memory Description
Three DDR 2.5V DIMM sockets support up to 3GB*.
184-pin PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC, unbuffered DDR SDRAM memory.
*recommended to use 3 sticks of DDR200(PC1600), or 2 DDR266(PC2100) memory on this board

So far it seems to me that Soyo boards are very picky when it comes to memory. Have you tried it with 2 or 3 sticks of a size smaller than 512mgb? When I was running my Dragon + I never had any memory issues, but then i only put a total of 512mgb(2x256) in it.

I talked to Soyo Tech and they said if using PC2100 MB only takes up to 2 sticks. With PC1600 memory than MB accepts all 3 slots. I am wondering if latest BIOS of 2ba7 has a bug for memory of two sticks? with PC2100 memory?

Back