• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD-ROM and Harddrive cords????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

Didn't know where to put this....and I need a fast reply and a lot of people come to this forum. Anyways...I was wondering if the cords used to hook up your CD-ROM drive are the asme as the ones used to hook up your Harddrive. Please answer me as soon as possiable!!!!!

cords? never heard anybody refer to cables that way...
but yes, the same ide cables used to hook up cd-rom drives can and are supposed to be used to hook up hard drives.

oh and next time, try posting in general hardware.

The "cords" are in fact IDE ribbon cables and yes, they are the same. When plugging in just remember to align the red stripe on the cable with pin 1 on the drive/motherboard - it usually ez on the drive socket and in the manual for the motherboard.

Need any help configuring the drives and whatnot?

"Lol I was going to wonder why someone would want to cool their cables."
Um, improperly placed cables can block airflow and cause system parts to run hotter.

star882 said:
"Lol I was going to wonder why someone would want to cool their cables."
Um, improperly placed cables can block airflow and cause system parts to run hotter.

Yes, but if it's blocking the airflow the cables would be cooled. Correct?

"Yes, but if it's blocking the airflow the cables would be cooled. Correct?"
True, but why would you cool a cable?

Uhh, I think you guys are all wrong, the ide cables that usually come with a cd-rom are 40pin(fairly thick wires used) the ones used for harddrives are 80pin cables(the wires on these are twice as thin as the ones used on cd-roms). So in other words they will work, but the performance will suck or you will get errors.
Just get some 80pin harddrive cables, they are very cheap.

Back