• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing the Heatsink off of a GeForce256

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

I though just for kicks I would mod my GeForce 256. One problem is that the fan is glued on with a certain thermal compound glue and I don't know how to remove it without damaging the chip.

I've heard some people suggest putting it in your freezer (in a plastic bag) for a while, then carefully twisting it off. But that might just apply to ramsinks, so don't try anything 'till you get a second option.

Yes put it in the freezer in a plastic bag for around 15 minutes, then take a credit card or any card to put underneath the PCB, then take a screwdriver and twist it to pop it off. The reason for the card is so you don't damage the PCB while taking it off. (PCB=printed circuit board). The cold from the freezer should make the epoxy stiff enough to pop off.

I'd advise letting the card sit for a while (Overnight to be on the safe side), as you wouldn't want any condensation on that mother.

Yea the only part that worries me is the condensation part. It's an old card anyway so I don't really care to much. I'll try it and see what happens.

Back