• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this hsf good for overclocking my athlon xp 1800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The fan will not be a great performer, but it should do fine... A more powerful fan and heatsink might get your overclock a little further or more stable.

BTW the fins look nice but they look like they are soldered on from the picture and the hold down goes right across the center/die area of the heatsink.

I would not be worried about the hold down(clip) going across the middle since there is no airflow there anyway. Looks like it would be fine for the money, but there are better. I recommend the coolermaster HAC-V81(x-dream), it is the best performer for $15. it can be found at www.newegg.com and www.directron.com

Make sure you have enough room for the x-dream I recommended, it is pretty big.
Either cooler will handle your oc though, if the voltage isnt to high.

Last edited:
arabarabian said:
That may be fine for not overclocking but it would be well worth your money to get something nicer. I would recomend a Swiftech MCX-462+ or a SLK-900 both available at www.heatsinkfactory.com.

Thank You,
Daniel

It may be worth his money, but if he doesnt have the money, the one I recommended will definately work and even the one he was asking about should do fine too for overclocking.

Some of you guys dont seem to realise that for how crappy the stock amd coolers are, they can still keep the temp within spec@stock, that being so, a cooler that is 15 dollars will be tremendously better and should handle a moderate oc as long as the voltage isnt above 1.85 or so.

So to just answer your question sup3rcarrx8, that cooler will do fine with your current 1.8ghz and will probably still be fine up to bout 2ghz.(as long as the voltage isnt above 1.85 or so)

Also you guys should consider the persons age, they may not be able to afford a $30-$50 heatsink.

Last edited:
IF you have the money I'd buy the SLK800a for $28.95 @ svc.com. If you but the SLK800a look into a good fan like Tt SF II or the Tornado.

The HS you were showing might be good enough depending on the amount you want to oc. If you plan on staying @ 1.8 then it should do fine. But if you want to reach 2+ then i'd invest in a better HS+Fan.

Do you have a pally or a tbred?

Last edited:
That heatsink, the sk6+, is ranked here:
www.overclockers.com/articles373

Keep in mind that that ranking was achieved with the fan at 7000rpm and high noise. On the test setup in the review below, lowering the fan to 4000rpm (tolerable noise level) increased temps by 6 C.

It is a good heatsink. Here is a review of it:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles629/

@Kdog154 and schismspeak: His CPU will be running at something around 1.53 Ghz... The 1800+ runs around there, not actually at 1.8Ghz. If he would reach 2Ghz that would be an almost 500mhz OC and probably not possible with the cooler he is considering and his chip.

I think everyone should start looking in the persons profile to make sure they dont have there specs in there. I quote "soyo kt333 dragon ultra platinum, amd athlon xp 1800 oc'ed 1.8ghz, 1gb pc2100 kingston" He already has it at 1.8ghz, and im assuming that is with the stock HS, soo his temps should be quite a bit better with a new one.

sup3rcarrx8, the sk6+ is pretty good.

I'd definitely take the SK6+. It's only $10 without a fan, and it can take 80mm fans. I happened to take one out of an old power supply to use with it. Can't beat that price.

Thanks for the heads up shismspeak... I usually assume if their specs arent in their sig then they arent there at all. Then again, my specs are in my profile. :rolleyes: Oddly enough anyways:

sup3rcarrx8 said:
I was wondering how much of a decrease would the sk6+ have with a stock hsf for my athlon xp 1800+ not overclocked yet. It's still at stock 1.53ghz right now - stock voltage and 11.5 multiplier i think. Also do copper heatsinks REALLY have a big advantage against aluminum?

You may be on to something with your expectations, but I would expect less from a new heatsink unless he gets something good like the sk6+.

Last edited:
He might want to oc it to 1.8, but I looked at his profile and saw "oc'd to 1.8". Considering it isn't a extreme oc I'd say that hs is good enough for you. If you want to make it better get an adjustible fan and some AS3.

Back